Stayin' warm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
With winter just around the corner here in the Rockies I'm looking to supplement my riding gear, specifically in the jacket department. I have 200$ to spend. Right now I have a TourMaster 'Intake' jacket, the mesh one with the 2 removable rain and quilted liners indside. I really love it but its my only jacket and I'm primarily concerned with staying comfy in the most varied weather. This includes the heat of summer visiting family in the desert SW.

Here are some options I'm kicking around...which gets the most bang for my bucks?

1) buy a nice textile jacket. I'm eyeballing the TM transition II, the Fieldsheer Adventure,or a Firstgear Jaunt. all found for 130-200.

2) buy a nice heated liner and wear it under my current jacket.

3) search the net relentlessly and pray to find them both used/closeout for 100$ apiece?

Even though I live in CO, I don't tend to ride when its super cold, I'd say upper 30's is my absolute limit. I've been known to ride well into triple digit temps, but I have the mesh already. Right now I'm leaning towards option 2. Is this a bad plan? Anyone out there routinely wear a heated liner under a layered mesh jacket?

What I own is bionic body armor by Alpinestars. It's CE-rated, and I feel will provide good protection. And it's very near to my skin so I can throw on a larger hoody or jacket over it. Protection underneat, and whatever I need to stay warm over it.

My girlfriend has a small fitted jacket and does the same (throws an oversized jacket over it)

Alexi

Your Intake jacket will do you fine in any temps that don't put ice on the road. I've got two seasons on mine - in Northern Ontario. That being said, I picked up an electric jacket liner earlier this year and have only used it twice, mostly just to try it out; not borne out of any real need.

In Fahrenheit numbers, I've ridden in the Intake in 27 to about 100. Thats versatility!

If your genuinely interested in staying comfortable on the bike, invest in some Suzuki handgaurds. The difference they make when it cold (or wet) is phenomenal!

I have an intake and added a gerbings heated liner for cold rides. Works great with just the rain liner installed. There is no need for the quilted liner. It was fun to ride up somewhere and people ask, "Aren't you cold in that mesh jacket?" Although it is waterproofish with the rain liner, the jacket would get saturated and heavy. I believe an actual rain jacket over the intake worked better.

Last winter I purchased a firstgear waterproof jacket because I got tired of taking the rain liner in and out of the intake jacket. I like this setup better. It is more versatile and with only the jacket shell and gerbings, I am good for any riding weather.

I still where the intake sometimes for day rides in the summer if rain is not forecasted.

I have a First Gear leather jacket and use the Gerbings heated liner; that combo has kept me warm down to the high '20's (F), which is about as cold as it gets around here. The Gerbings heated liner fits in your budget also.

If you can add a wind/waterproof cover to any jacket you'll be fine. One with taped seams to keep the cold out and your body heat in.

I ride year round with a Fieldsheer armored meshie that has leather shoulders. In the winter I use a heated vest and a cover as mentioned above and am toastie warm. Mind you, anything under about 5 deg/cel is just plain silly to ride in. Foggy conditions being the worst/coldest. Once that chills me, stick a fork in me cuz I am DONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an intake and added a gerbings heated liner for cold rides. Works great with just the rain liner installed. There is no need for the quilted liner. It was fun to ride up somewhere and people ask, "Aren't you cold in that mesh jacket?" Although it is waterproofish with the rain liner, the jacket would get saturated and heavy. I believe an actual rain jacket over the intake worked better.
Last winter I purchased a firstgear waterproof jacket because I got tired of taking the rain liner in and out of the intake jacket. I like this setup better. It is more versatile and with only the jacket shell and gerbings, I am good for any riding weather.

I still where the intake sometimes for day rides in the summer if rain is not forecasted.
This person knows how to dress. Maximum versatility / minimal expense.