Stebel Nautilus install by Greenman

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenman

Reaction score
Hello all,

After reading Name, Etc.'s post over on FJRRiders regarding the install of a Stebel Nautilus on our beloved FJR, it got me thinking about how I'd go about the install myself. A sincere debt of gratitude for the idea of separating the compressor from the horns; I doubt I would have realized that on my own. Doing this install also served as a convenient excuse to explore the bike so I'd begin to get to know it.

With that said:

I located the relay forward of the battery. There's a spot there with plenty of room, and it also places the relay completely out of the weather.

P1010072.jpg

I located the compressor under the seat. Stebel indicates that the compressor should be within 15 degrees of vertical. I made a standoff from a tension pin; it is attached through the drain hole in the plastic pan (drill a new one). The compressor stands almost vertical, and there's also plenty of room in that spot. A 2" hole fits perfectly, with a 1/2" hole for the fuel line hose that connects the two components. It also places the compressor completely out of the weather

as well. BTW, I used the same 1/8" pipe tap and 1/8" pipe to 1/4" hose barb fitting that Name, Etc. used in his install. Don't forget a hose clamp! I took this picture during dryfit; the final install has the clamp in place.

P1010074.jpg

I drilled and tapped two M4 - .70 holes on the frame after measuring a good placement for the horns. No worries about structural integrity on a frame member of that size!

P1010077.jpg

This is how much of the original compressor bracket I retained. Adding a piece of camper foam perpendicular to the bolts helps guard against vibration.

P1010078.jpg

Here's the horn installed.

P1010081.jpg

Routing the hose this way lines it up nicely for its entrance into the underseat area. I cut a 9/16" hole into panel "F" just below the upper bolt hole. The hose enters there.

P1010083.jpg

P1010086.jpg

Here's the horn with the lower fairing re-installed.

P1010084.jpg

Nice and neat on the way to the compressor.

P1010088.jpg

And here's the finished install. It works great, and I'm confident that all the components are in the safest places on the bike I can find.

P1010095.jpg

I hope this thread is of help to anyone looking to add this powerful horn to the FJR.

Greenman.

Very clean installation.

It's a bit hard to tell, but is the horn upside down once it's installed? Meaning the opening is at the top not the bottom. If that's the case, do you have any concerns about water accumulating inside?

I think you should have your hearing tested in a year to see if your right ear is still working as well as your left...

Very clean installation.

It's a bit hard to tell, but is the horn upside down once it's installed? Meaning the opening is at the top not the bottom. If that's the case, do you have any concerns about water accumulating inside?

I think you should have your hearing tested in a year to see if your right ear is still working as well as your left...

Thanks. It's possible that water could get in, but the way it's arranged, I'm not concerned. About the only time I'd worry is when cleaning the bike, but of course I have control over the water.

I wear a full-face helmet and ear plugs when I ride, so I'm not worried about hearing loss. The horn does penetrate the stereos of cagers, though!

Greenman.