Steel toe or no?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal1

Reaction score
Found a new pair of boots for riding. They come with or without steel toes. Any suggestions/experiences with steel? Are they better protection in an accident?
smile.png

I don't like steel toe boots for riding. Can't feel the shifter as well and make your toes cold in cool weather.

Accidentally lower your bike's sidestand down on your non-steel toe'd boot and you'll have the answer you're looking for. :D

I don't like steel toe boots for riding. Can't feel the shifter as well and make your toes cold in cool weather.
I agree, although the steel toe can protect you from grinding off you toes they could crush them of cut them off if a heavy enough object is dropped on them, like your motorcycle.

IMHO steel toe boots are not the answer.

You can get boots with a safety toe in a non metallic version. Maybe not MC boots, never have checked.

I wear steel toed boots when commuting because they're my work boots.
As was mentioned, they're cold on the toes when the temperature is in the mid-low 30's.
For normal riding/touring I have non-steel toed motorcycle boots that protect my ankles higher than my work boots.

Toe hazards (droped objects) are not much of a safety concern on the bike relative to other hazards. Most motorcycle boots are armored around the ankles as suggested by Mike, and also have a shank that prevents the foot from being excessively flext (toe to heel). I use composite toe protection for work boots, but I don't use work boots on the motorcycle. A flatter sole without a heel lift allows more flexibility in placing your foot on the pegs and preventing toe-drag in curves.

Bots Dots and traffic cones are not designed for smart asses to kick (accidentally in the first case and inentionally in the second case).

Ouch!

Latest posts