Steering head tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothblue

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to finally order some tools for periodic maintenance on my '05. Plan to purchase a throttle body syncronization gauge and also need a wrench to torque the nut on the steering head (or whatever it's called) which seems to turn a bit too freely. Any ideas on both those items and where to most inexpensively purchase them.

By the way anybody have any information on which type of garauld fabricated rack and finish you like best. :clap: I've been eye-balling those babies for awhile now and think one of those might just give me the additonal carrying capacity for those long road trips (as opposed to a top case) I'm making this summer.

I again thank all those providing input as you guys know this stuff best. Wish me luck on the throttle body sync. :erm:

I got the rack with the powder coat (black) that takes the place of the stock rack and had him add a removable passenger back rest...fantastic workmanship/welding/finish

Toophast

257.jpg

Meissner of Lenkeradapter fame sells the Steering Head Tool for Euro 8,50 = $10,50 (plus shipping). I reckon if you put together a few orders (10 pces. at least) you can buy them in bulk and have them shipped stateside for less than $20 apiece.

Just a thought... ;)

Stef

Lookee here

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yamaha tool is contracted out to a tool maker named K&L. Both part numbers can be clearly seen in this photo.

shb01.jpg

Additional details can be seen here:

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/shb/shb.html

The price through a Yamaha dealer is about $42. If you go through Bike Johnny, you can get the spanner and a front axle tool for about the price of the spanner alone. Again, all of that is detailed at the Steering Head Bearing write up in the link above.

One more option is Gary at University Motors. Don't qoute me, but I believe the Yamaha spanner I bought from him was less than $30 and I had it in a couple of days. I already had the front axle tool or I would have gone the Bike Johnny route.

Derek

Morgan CarbTune has several advantages over the child killer mercury guages, none of which is price-at about a hunnert smackers, it's one of the pricier models, but worth it IMHO. Available Here.

+1 on the Bike Johnny head bearing tool and axle tool. There are some alternatives, but these work well, the axle tool is handier than one might think, the price is right, and the English need more American currency. Find them Here