stock seat mods by Spencer,s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadhammer

Reaction score
My bride has decided that the rear seat was too much for long hauls and I was ready to try something different on the front. After reading on forum about Spencers I gave him an e-mail for info. Info was concise, to the point and sounded too good to be true. We sent off the seat and got it back ricky tick. The job was nicely done; it still looks stock but the difference is remarkable. He can be reached at www.GREATDAYTORIDE.COM. I used the LD option using supracor and like it. My wife went with the comfort mod and is content. After a two hour ride, no worries. Most important my beloved is happy and you know what they say.

Regards to all and thanks to Frank for a job well done Roadhammer

PS the address is www.GREATDAYTORIDE>COM or google spencers moto care

I just got mine back from Frank and still have not had a chance to give it a test but really looking forward to giving it a go.
Did front and rear - Wife has her own bike but the daughter comes with me on occasion

later
UPS delivering mine back to me today from Spencers. I'm hopeing it's better. I'll let you know.

:rolleyes:

I just got mine back from Frank and still have not had a chance to give it a test but really looking forward to giving it a go.
Did front and rear - Wife has her own bike but the daughter comes with me on occasion

later
UPS delivering mine back to me today from Spencers. I'm hopeing it's better. I'll let you know.

:rolleyes:
It will be much better. I'm also liking mine with the supracore. I need some LD rides to see how it is on the 1000 + mile days though but already know it is better than stock.

doctorj

I got mine back Friday. I've put several miles on it. Seems some better and the engine vibes to the butt are less pronounced, but I didn't get the neutral riding position I was promised. I guess I'm going to have to cut it down myself. Kind of dissapointing after going through the same thing with Rick Mayer on the seat he made for my 04. I sent it back twice and he still didn't get it right.

GP

Ok. Lemme bump this up for you folks or anyone else who has had this done. I know it's cheaper than most other options, but is it worth it? Really. Or should I just save up for a Russell, Bill or Rick Mayer, or (insert favorite brand) seats? Would love to have a Daylong, but $$$ is a bit out of pocket range now. Just wanting to know if the Spencer's are worth throwing the money at or should I save up.

Thanks

-Dave

I had mine done by Spencer.... it's better than stock, but it's not like an after market seat, that's dished out to create more contact area. However, I think the Spencer mod is worth the money.

Ok. Lemme bump this up for you folks or anyone else who has had this done. I know it's cheaper than most other options, but is it worth it? Really. Or should I just save up for a Russell, Bill or Rick Mayer, or (insert favorite brand) seats? Would love to have a Daylong, but $$$ is a bit out of pocket range now. Just wanting to know if the Spencer's are worth throwing the money at or should I save up.Thanks

-Dave
IMHO....I have both a Russell day long and stock and use them both. The Russell is a great seaty for point-to-point LD riding. But even with the Russell after a tank full (say 250 miles) I'm ready to get off. The Russell has the disadvantage of pretty well locking you into place...pretty tough to move side-to-side for more "spirited" riding...and it places you higher on the bike. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and it's noticeable to me.

I just did EOM (2700 mile round trip) from South Florida on an unmodified stock seat. Pretty tough. After 70 miles I was already squirming around at 150 I'm standing up on the pegs to get some relief. Lots easier and more enjoyable to use in the twisties but real tough on the long haul. Seemed a little better on the return trip...maybe paralysis was setting in.

I'm sending my stock setup to Spencer's next week. For relatively small money any improvement is good.

But for serious LD....I think you need a Russell on Rick Mayer.

I'm not looking to do any serious LD (yet ;) ) but I do like to travel to the southern part of the state for the good roads. I also like to have a "spirited" pace and tend to want to hang off the seat a smidge and want to keep that available. Looks like I'll be sending mine off to be redone then.

My butt seems to like the stock seat so far, I have done some all day rides and no problems. Maybe after I do some multi day riding hot spots will pop up, so I am waiting to see

Had Spencer do my seat while I was out with a broken collar bone over the past 8 weeks. Took 1 1/2 weeks to send and get back. Very quick service and answered all my emails within the same day. Put in 380 miles saturday and I was very much impressed by the comfort of the seat. Was riding with a friend and they didn't understand why I wasn't stopping to rest until I meantioned the seat mod. Very good deal for the money and very professional job.

Update: got the seat back before we went to EOM.. Have put about 3000 miles on the Spencer upgrade and I'm impressed. Both seats.. $100.00 plus shipping. I'm not saying a Russell isn't better but is it 7 times better? Not sure, but I will say it is money well spent for the Spencer upgrade.

Don

I had mine done back in June. Since then I have over 4k on the seat. To be honest it is still hard as a rock and uncomfortable for long trips. For me the butt factor is good for 75-100 miles. It is better then the stock, I have to say a little. Is it worth the changes, I would have to say no. Invest in a Corbin!

See, I can tolerate the stock seat for right around 100 miles, then I need to stop and stretch. My main concern was for the $$$ is it worth it? Seems like it might be worth a try at least.

Roadhammer here, just an update on my mod by Spencer: We just finished a 3100 mile ride from St Petersburg ,Fl to Santa maria, Ca. The ride was very satisfactory. LD riding was comfortable with 400 to 500 mile days. I will give Frank a strong recommedation. This is a seat of the pants evaluation and I approve of this message. ( sorry about that but it just popped into my head; must be the season.)

regards to all, ride safe Roadhammer

ps: this bike is truely a supersport touring machine. Fast safe and well put constructed. It is a pleasure to ride

I had mine done back in June. Since then I have over 4k on the seat. To be honest it is still hard as a rock and uncomfortable for long trips. For me the butt factor is good for 75-100 miles. It is better then the stock, I have to say a little. Is it worth the changes, I would have to say no. Invest in a Corbin!
Curious if you got the long distance option? and did you get any adjustments in tilt/lean front to back?

TIA

Curious if you got the long distance option? and did you get any adjustments in tilt/lean front to back?

TIA

I am not sure of the long distance option, but I did have the jell added. As for modifications I am hoping he made the changes since I sent him a picture of me on the seat along with my ht and wt.

TIA

I am not sure of the long distance option, but I did have the jell added. As for modifications I am hoping he made the changes since I sent him a picture of me on the seat along with my ht and wt.
I've only had the briefest of contacts with Spencer so I may be totally wrong. I thought the LD option used a honey comb shaped foam or filler and not a gel. I hope it isn't the gel b/c I recently threw a gel seat on my stock seat and rode a few hundred miles iwth it in one day. For me, the gel compacted adn once cmpacted it was hard and didn't give up and down. I believe the thought behind the honey comb design is that it does spring a bit.

Lee