Stock Summer Shield Cuasing Too Much Buffeting!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcycl

Reaction score
I have a 08 FJR which is pretty new to me. After a recent 350 mile ride, my rear-end was absolutely fine with my new Rick Mayer saddle (no soreness or monkey butt whatsoever ... very happy!!) but my head, shoulders and writes were another story. Vibration is atrocious even with new heavy bar ends, but the one thing me and my wife need 2up is a new windshield that will reduce buffeting and give her some wind relief as well.

I'm only 5'7" with a 28.5 inseam ... so pretty short. Reading thru a bunch of windshield threads helped me see that most folks benefit from an aftermarket shield, but the size is the big question I have. Seems like folks that are 5' 10" to 6' 2" or so are going with a minimum of +2 to +5 shields depending up summer or winter, etc. But, for a general shield (more summer than winter) I'm wondering if I don't need any taller than a stock summer shield given my short height. Thoughts?

Any thoughts from shorter folks and from folks who ride 2up mainly? Cee Baily and Rifle seem to be the two brands mentioned and recommended more than any other ... even though most other brands still have a following.

I'll ride into the 50 degree weather but anything cooler than that will be only here and there. So, I mainly need a summer/fall/spring weather shield.

A Cee Bailey reverse flip sounds like a very popular shield to cut down on windsheer and buffeting. But, what width and height are right for me?

Thanks for any help!

I have both a stock sport shield as well as vstream. Have learned to really like both and I suspect with any other shield I'd find the same type of things.

- Usually use 1 of three settings, down when it's hot, going slow or running hard on the back roads. Half way up gives some relief from wind pressure on the hiway.

- Buffeting I found with both, except that in both cases, if I adjust my helmet visor and a minor adjustments on the position of my helmet will completely elminate buffetting. With the sport shield I can run for hours with the shield full up, my visor half up and helmet rolled slightly forward on my head. With the vstream full up, I run with the helmet shield half to full up and get zero buffetting.

Point being, is that I don't think it's just the shield or even your height but is just as much how you have your helmet visor adjusted.

Just to give a bit more definition of what I mean when I say buffeting, etc. ... The summer stock shield in the lowest position is the ONLY position I can use it in currently. The higher I raise it, the more wind that comes around and hits me from behind and is so forceful, I am unable to keep my head/helmet from moving around. At the highest position, it is just simply ridiculous how much buffeting I have. Again, that's what I mean when I say buffeting, but I'm not sure if I'm using the correct term.

Oh, and there isn't really any adjustment ... this is with full-face helmet on and visor all the way down.

Just seems like I've read about so many folks happy w/ various heights of their shields, etc. ... creating a pocket of very little air turbulence behind the shield ... but I have NONE of that!! lol So, I assumed this was due to my windshield.

I was used to a fixed shield on my VFR, so this is all new to me.

That is buffetting and I get the exact same thing if I leave my helmet visor closed and shield full up. But if my bike shield is full up and I adust my visor shield the buffeting goes away.

Rifle tuning block under stock windshield = No buffeting for me. I am 5'11" 32" inseam.

In the winter I use a Rifle touring windshield with tuning block of course - that never comes off.

I have a 08 FJR which is pretty new to me. After a recent 350 mile ride, my rear-end was absolutely fine with my new Rick Mayer saddle (no soreness or monkey butt whatsoever ... very happy!!) but my head, shoulders and writes were another story. Vibration is atrocious even with new heavy bar ends, but the one thing me and my wife need 2up is a new windshield that will reduce buffeting and give her some wind relief as well.

I'm only 5'7" with a 28.5 inseam ... so pretty short. Reading thru a bunch of windshield threads helped me see that most folks benefit from an aftermarket shield, but the size is the big question I have. Seems like folks that are 5' 10" to 6' 2" or so are going with a minimum of +2 to +5 shields depending up summer or winter, etc. But, for a general shield (more summer than winter) I'm wondering if I don't need any taller than a stock summer shield given my short height. Thoughts?

Any thoughts from shorter folks and from folks who ride 2up mainly? Cee Baily and Rifle seem to be the two brands mentioned and recommended more than any other ... even though most other brands still have a following.

I'll ride into the 50 degree weather but anything cooler than that will be only here and there. So, I mainly need a summer/fall/spring weather shield.

A Cee Bailey reverse flip sounds like a very popular shield to cut down on windsheer and buffeting. But, what width and height are right for me?

Thanks for any help!
Well I'm about the same size as you. I'm 5'6" and 28 inseam. I have tried several sheilds and the best set up I have is the stock size shield with a Laminar lip. It really smooths out the air in the full down position for summer time use and in full up gives you an almost quiet pocket of air. It will help your passenger as well according to my wife.Plus it is the cheapest thing to try if you can get over the looks of it. Here is a pic

Memorialweekend2010006.jpg

I have the out of business, Skyway stainless 1/2"? spacers and bolts, which help. I only use the original windshield now. 5'9" You could inexpensively make the setup. Remove the painted dress cover on the front of the windshield. Remove the two 8mm? bolts holding the windshield to the main bracket. Use approximately 1/2" stack of washers or small pipe. Purchase longer bolts for the added spacers and mount it up. Experiment. 5/8 or 3/4 might be better? It kicks the bottom of the windshield up to lets more air underneath.

Thanks for any help!

I had the Cee Bailey's +4 high, +2 wide reverse contour flip and it gave me the same read hear buffeting as you described. I sent it back to swap for a +2 high, +4 wide reverse contour flip. I'm going to try that and if it doesn't make a difference, I'm going to sell the Cee Bailey and try something else. I have noticed that helmet shape and design have an effect on rear head push as well. My HJC FS-15 was bad, but my Scorpion EXO900 and Shoei RF1100 - not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went thru the measurement instructions on Cee Bailey's website. I purchased a Reverse Contour 21in (smallest they offer in Reverse Contour) high and +2 wide in clear. We'll see how much it helps in my specific situation. I'm hoping the extra 2in (stock is 19in) height w/ the lip at the top will work for us. If not, I'll be selling it and trying the laminar lip next most likely. I'll report back here w/ my findings.

Blah, blah, blah...Best answer for your specific situation (short guy, no cold weather riding intentions) is to lower your shield dramatically. Spacers, tuning block, or a chopped down stock shield. If we never had any cold weather in the NE I would never run anything other than the OE shield with a Rifle tuning block and tipped back to nearly the lowest it will go. Good luck in your quest. We've all been there and found our own best solutions.

Ditto to Fred W on shorter shield. The solution for me was a Cee Bailey shield 2 inches shorter than stock. Cutting down the stock shield would accomplish the same thing. I use it year round because it's so much quieter than stock. I am 5' 10" with 29" inseam snd relatively long waisted. You might want it even shorter.