Sugru

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Anybody ever try this stuff? CLICKY TO WEBSITE

Looks like it might have a large number of practical uses.

ScreenShot2014-04-05at122848PM.png
I THINK IT'S A MOLDABLE, CURABLE SILICONE

ScreenShot2014-04-05at122831PM.png
THIS LINK IS ONLY ACTIVE ON THE WEBSITE.

NO AFFILIATION OR HORSE IN THIS RACE. JUST WONDERIN' IF ANYONE'S USED/HEARD OF THIS STUFF?

Gary

I've never used it myself. But Sugru is highly recommended on another forum I'm on for things like attaching Sena units to helmets.

It's supposed to work great.

Pista,

On their website they have a video demo showing that it has quite a grip on a number of different materials. From the ceiling , they hang a number of dissimilar items made of various materials one on top of another like a string of pearls... each stuck to the next with this stuff. Seems to hold pretty well. Guess it comes out of the UK and it hasn't been on the market very long.

Gary

I've used RTV for some things but this stuff seems to be really useful for a wide variety of applications. Looks like something I should add to my box of goodies next to the liquid electrical tape. Thanks for the link.

I've used it for a few repairs and custom applications. It is pretty amazing stuff. I tried it for a custom solution to a problem I had getting my foot under the shifter on some of my motorcycles. A knee replacement made it difficult to get my leg positioned to get my foot under the shifter. My solution was to add a lip to the edge of the sole. I screwed some small sheet metal screws into the sole and then cut off the heads. This gave reinforcement to the Sugru. Without it the material would be too flexible. The sparkles are embedded aluminum filings. The material was too slippery without them. This repair and a similar one on my track boots have held up very well.

medium800.jpg

When I ordered a second set of Sugru packets, available at Amazon, I mistakenly ordered a variety of colors instead of all black. I used one of the yellow ones the other day to replace the end of the brake lever on my DR650 which had been broken off when it took a dirt nap last week.

orig.jpg

I also used it to insulate an electrical connector. It is versatile stuff. Be sure to give it time to harden, at least 24 hours, 36 is even better. The surface is quite slippery so keep that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it on macbook cords and it really didnt seem to extend their lives before the usual disintegration, but the stuff has promise.

Me? I love liquid electrical tape.

Looks interesting. May have to buy a tube and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

I tried it on macbook cords and it really didnt seem to extend their lives before the usual disintegration, but the stuff has promise.
The liquid electrical tape you spoke of, what's it called, where'd ya get it, and does it work on MacBook cords?

Gary

The liquid electrical tape you spoke of, what's it called, where'd ya get it, and does it work on MacBook cords?

Gary
Most any hardware store will have it. Amazon also has a good selection. It comes in various colors if that matters to you.

If you are trying to make a kind of strain-relief using it, you'd have to apply several layers and I'm not sure that would help much. I've used it more for connections that need to be completely sealed...underwater and marine type applications.