Superbrace for '06 soon available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickey191

Reaction score
to all concerned.

Went to the final fitting for my superbrace this evening after work. This time I met Scott from Superbrace in San Clemente - sort of half way between us. Seems they were waiting for an '05 to show up so the could check to see for sure if what they made for the '06 would be backward compatible -

Evidently the answer is YES.

So, I now have the prototype superbrace for the 6 on my bike - with only about 60 miles on it. Glad I changed tires before - so I could get a few miles on them prior to installing the brace - so I could get a feel for any difference.

Mostly slab on the way home - so can't tell you much about improved handling - will RIDE TO WORK - on ride to work day tomorrow and hit some mountain roads.

Here is what I noticed:

1. Handling might feel a tad more crisp

2. could be my imagination, but didn't feel bots dots as severely - don't know why that would be - but that is my impression

3. front end does seem a bit more taught and handling actually seems a smidge quicker - could also be my imagination.

4. definitely noticed better feel coming out of the parking lot and through a good sized curb - bike felt more solid.

5. A nice connecting ramp with some very nice banking allowed for some accelerated merging and the bike seemed to track a bit better. I feel the fjr tracks damned good now, so I don't know if this is really true or not.

6. Tomorrow will be on mountain roads that I ride daily and will be a much better test.

=--==

Superbrace will go into production immediately - hopefully they will have time to provide sufficient quantities at WFO-5

they will bring me a black anodized production version to exchange in Reno.

Great guys at Superbrace - my thanks go out to Chris and Scott

I assume this design takes into account the banjo bolt debacle from a few seasons ago?

Both Chris and Scott from Superbrace will be at WFO late Thursday and will be providing us will a couple of these late-generation FJR Superbraces to give away as door prizes. B)

I assume this design takes into account the banjo bolt debacle from a few seasons ago?
only banjo debacle I know of was in "Deliverance"

tada dum da dum da dee dee dumb

scott did mention banjo bolt - while he was installing on my bike.

Am I the only one who's been using the MCL brace on an 06?

Had it on for 3500 miles now.

No issues.

Am I the only one who's been using the MCL brace on an 06?

Had it on for 3500 miles now.

No issues.
Do you have any of the horn mods (nautilus, magnum blasters, etc)? If so, does the brace clear them?

See this thread.....Specifically the last post by me .... https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=8111&st=40
Awesome, thanks Diesel. I didn't see your update on that thread (I was the orignial author), so I'm glad to see you've made it work without issues! and for $89, how can you go wrong!! :)

A couple of days on the SuperBrace.

Did a little scouting on the way to and from yesterday - off in the mountains around San Diego - with the new Superbrace installed. As promised - I was able to ride the same roads I ride to work every day and add a few more to get a feel for the brace. I did NOT get into any real tight stuff - most of this was sweepers.

My impressions:

1. Superbrace definitely adds a sense of security to the turn. Not positive how much of this is mental and how much is new tires and how much is the brace - but the front end (which never felt squirrelly to me) felt MORE planted than previously - especially in long sweepers. The front end seemed to hold a line better. Again - I think the FJR holds a line pretty well - I think it does hold a line better with the brace.

2. Road vibration - previously I mentioned that I thought Bott's Dots felt softer - I will stand by that today. For some reason they don't feel so pronounced HOWEVER - I did think that I felt road condition a little more. The front end seemed more sensitive. Felt as though I cold feel the tire tread though the handlebars. Cupped tires would be a MAJOR pain in the ass.

3. bike seems to turn a little more aggressively and quickly. I would like to have ridden some more technical or tighter roads - but I did have to get home at some point. Will hit many of those starting on Saturday as I wind my way toward WFO5.

All in all - I should preface this by telling you something about my riding style. I would not categorize myself as a squid at all, neither a ricky racer, nor a over fast rider. I freeking HATE sweepers (go ahead... throw shit) - I just hate them. I LOVE tight winding roads. The tighter the better. If I never got out of second gear, that would be fine with me. I will probably find out what the fastest an FJR will go, but I wont stay there for long.

conditional Impression and recommendation:

I would say if that if you are an aggressive rider - if you love riding sweepers at high speed or on a continual basis and if you ride two up - then you should purchase a Superbrace for your '06. Since I can't comment on the tight stuff yet - I'll venture an opinion - I believe that it will help a great deal in turning in faster and responsiveness. Two up I think will be a major advantage.

In short - bring your bucks to WFO5 - as the Superbrace people will be there.

if you never ride 2up and you never twist the throttle to the stop - or near it - and you don't like twisty roads... then you still might need one cause they look trick

if none of the above applies... then why did you buy an FJR?

A couple of days on the SuperBrace. Did a little scouting on the way to and from yesterday - off in the mountains around San Diego - with the new Superbrace installed. As promised - I was able to ride the same roads I ride to work every day and add a few more to get a feel for the brace. I did NOT get into any real tight stuff - most of this was sweepers.

My impressions:

1. Superbrace definitely adds a sense of security to the turn. Not positive how much of this is mental and how much is new tires and how much is the brace - but the front end (which never felt squirrelly to me) felt MORE planted than previously - especially in long sweepers. The front end seemed to hold a line better. Again - I think the FJR holds a line pretty well - I think it does hold a line better with the brace.

2. Road vibration - previously I mentioned that I thought Bott's Dots felt softer - I will stand by that today. For some reason they don't feel so pronounced HOWEVER - I did think that I felt road condition a little more. The front end seemed more sensitive. Felt as though I cold feel the tire tread though the handlebars. Cupped tires would be a MAJOR pain in the ass.

3. bike seems to turn a little more aggressively and quickly. I would like to have ridden some more technical or tighter roads - but I did have to get home at some point. Will hit many of those starting on Saturday as I wind my way toward WFO5.

All in all - I should preface this by telling you something about my riding style. I would not categorize myself as a squid at all, neither a ricky racer, nor a over fast rider. I freeking HATE sweepers (go ahead... throw shit) - I just hate them. I LOVE tight winding roads. The tighter the better. If I never got out of second gear, that would be fine with me. I will probably find out what the fastest an FJR will go, but I wont stay there for long.

conditional Impression and recommendation:

I would say if that if you are an aggressive rider - if you love riding sweepers at high speed or on a continual basis and if you ride two up - then you should purchase a Superbrace for your '06. Since I can't comment on the tight stuff yet - I'll venture an opinion - I believe that it will help a great deal in turning in faster and responsiveness. Two up I think will be a major advantage.

In short - bring your bucks to WFO5 - as the Superbrace people will be there.

if you never ride 2up and you never twist the throttle to the stop - or near it - and you don't like twisty roads... then you still might need one cause they look trick

if none of the above applies... then why did you buy an FJR?
I purchased a SB in early 05 - never put it on - sent it back in Oct 05 - didn't hear from them - emailed a few months ago and then again a few days ago. Tell me to call and they will work something out. WTF? It's been months and months and I still don't have a SB for my 04 FJR ABS. I don't understand. I really want one but this is silly to me. I would expect I would get mine before anyone else get's there's too. Glad the proto worked but I want whatever works on my bike too.

Why not ask them about it for me huh? I got a VM from Chris today but it's always fluffy stuff. Help a brother out!

PS: Wish I could go to WFO but it's a bit out of the way for me - about 2000 miles!

PS: Wish I could go to WFO but it's a bit out of the way for me - about 2000 miles!
But that's just a one day trip... if'n you're one of these guys below..... :lol:

wpf249.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]2K-Day Players from White Pine Fever ----- photo credit: Phil Kopp[/SIZE]

The center 4 FJR dudes (beeroux, SkooerG, Ignacio and Skyway) will all be at WFO-5....

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a SB in early 05 - never put it on - sent it back in Oct 05 - didn't hear from them - emailed a few months ago and then again a few days ago. Tell me to call and they will work something out. WTF? It's been months and months and I still don't have a SB for my 04 FJR ABS. I don't understand. I really want one but this is silly to me. I would expect I would get mine before anyone else get's there's too. Glad the proto worked but I want whatever works on my bike too.

Why not ask them about it for me huh? I got a VM from Chris today but it's always fluffy stuff. Help a brother out!

one of the things that they have been working on is getting 1 brace to fit more than 1 year bike. the hold up for me was that someone with an '05 was supposed to show up for measurements and we were waiting on them. the 05 would not fit the 06 due to changes in the fender. The '06 model has now been modified so that it fits an '05. I think (not sure) that it also fits the '04 - so they have been able to reduce their part numbers with this modification. I know that they started a production run on Wednesday and they are looking forward to fitting a few at WFO.

Other than that - talk to Chris again. He has been very reasonable with me. they have been busy with rallies and moving into their new building (by the way - they were at Americade, so that was pretty close to you)