Surgical Recovery Time before Riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Another beautiful day. Mid-70’s (°F) – about the fourth one in a row. Yet another day without riding!

I have been off the bike for the past five weeks (April 20) recovering from a major thoracic surgery. Removal of a large benign growth (softball size) in my chest.

The back story here

The surgery included a "medial sternotomy" which means I was basically gutted like a trout - base of neck to a couple of inches above belly button (14"); including splitting the sternum. The incision is not unlike what is done for open-heart surgery - perhaps even a little longer cut. Sternum was wired back together and skin incision closed with staples (removed after 13 days).

As far as pain, healing of the incision, energy level, getting back to work and cardiovascular exercise are concerned; I am well ahead of the recovery "curve" for this sort of procedure. The restrictions, however, are related to healing of the sternum itself. Depending upon the activity, they recommend 4 to 12 weeks and opinions vary considerably. It doesn't heal fully for a year and may never be 100%. The doctor (and information on-line) said how long to wait for driving the car, lifting more than 5 lb., etc. but I can find no information on recommended wait times for an activity such as riding a motorcycle (or even a bicycle). As long as I can manage a modest amount of weight on the arms, I am OK for riding (comfort-wise) but recovery of a parking lot tip could do some damage. Even a minor accident could be MUCH worse than usual if the sternum has not healed sufficiently.

Who has had this sort of procedure (sternotomy) and how long did you wait before riding again? Was this a doctor recommendation or personal choice? I don't think I would consider the risk in less than 8-9 weeks but is this enough? (I do not have a cardiac condition to consider.)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ross, Glad to hear you are healing. I did not have a sternotomy but did have a thorocotomy in 2012. I was down for about 12-15 before riding. As far as the pain goes. Most is gone but still have some pain on that side.The doctor would not let me ride for 12 weeks. Riding did not cause a problem but ribs played hell with bumps or lifting off the stand.

Man and I thought a scope on my knee was tough you guys are hard core. PROPS to you both.

It has been over 6 months for me now, I've only been able to walk to the garage only recently.

Now thinking of selling off a few bikes.

My various electrolyte levels are shot and and one improves another becomes dangerously low, no end in sight.

Low blood pressure and dizzy spells.

God forbid, I was nearly contemplating a Can Am, now a serious option. Still keep my #1 girl however.

The only advice I could give is listen to your body, know your limits, push a bit & don't over do it.

Ken

My underlying health has been very good. No meds other than blood thinner (Eliquis) and Tylenol and BP is good. Cardiovascular condition is dramatically improved since the surgery - walking an average of 10 km per day since May 8 - more in the last week or so. Close to pre-surgery levels for walking speed and endurance. Still can't run more than a km without considerable discomfort.

I still have enough sternal pain to prevent riding at this point but improvement has been quite rapid. The concern has more to do with the risk of damage than whether I can do so without pain. I have not had much luck in getting a definitive answer from doctors (or Google) so I thought I might pose the question on the forum. I would think there would be enough old farts around here who have had open-chest cardiac procedures that required sternotomies. (Or someone who knows someone... etc.)

I have also not had such a significant procedure but am a member of the general age group participating thus far in this discussion. (age:64) I'm in pretty good shape but am beginning to have knee issues and I've dealt in the past with dizziness due to over medication for high blood pressure. The point I'm getting at is that the FJR is a great and agile bike but stuff happens. Think very hard about the damage that could occur in an instant to your healing body if you have even a minor balance issue and try to instinctively hold the bike up from a slow tip-over of any sort. That said, it is also a fact that determination can overcome damn near anything. If you are really dedicated and take your time working back up to riding you should be fine. But as a previous post stated, listen to your body and be cautious.

At age 64 I had bypass surgery. At that young age I was walking my normal two miles 4 days after surgery. A month or so later I was riding 450 miles to Boise, ID. I asked my cardiologist if I could make the ride. He replied, "wear a helmet."

Now I would go with your doctors, as this was only my experience.

Jer

Thank you for your reply. Nice to get the benefit of someone else's experience. (This is why I posted in the first place.) Based on your profile (age), your bypass was 10 years ago, or so. I assume this was a full medial sternotomy? Did you have pain, fatigue or other issues associated with the ride?

I guess the question is not "could" I ride. Based upon recent improvements in pain and endurance, I am pretty sure a few hours of riding would be physically quite possible within the next week or so. But "should" I ride? I have not been able to get much useful information or any risk assessment data for MC riding or similar activities. I would feel pretty silly if I managed to (re)split the sternum with an otherwise trivial event but walking past the bike in the garage on a daily basis is driving me crazy. Overall, I am in pretty good health and do not have underlying cardiac or blood pressure issues to complicate the matter.

I have a follow-up appointment with my family doctor (not surgeon) next week and I am hoping he will give me some further guidance. Unfortunately, the doctor is always going to err on the side of caution - easier to advise against than to deal with a malpractice lawsuit in the unlikely event that shit happened.

Jer
Thank you for your reply. Nice to get the benefit of someone else's experience. (This is why I posted in the first place.) Based on your profile (age), your bypass was 10 years ago, or so. I assume this was a full medial sternotomy? Did you have pain, fatigue or other issues associated with the ride?

I guess the question is not "could" I ride. Based upon recent improvements in pain and endurance, I am pretty sure a few hours of riding would be physically quite possible within the next week or so. But "should" I ride? I have not been able to get much useful information or any risk assessment data for MC riding or similar activities. I would feel pretty silly if I managed to (re)split the sternum with an otherwise trivial event but walking past the bike in the garage on a daily basis is driving me crazy. Overall, I am in pretty good health and do not have underlying cardiac or blood pressure issues to complicate the matter.

I have a follow-up appointment with my family doctor (not surgeon) next week and I am hoping he will give me some further guidance. Unfortunately, the doctor is always going to err on the side of caution - easier to advise against than to deal with a malpractice lawsuit in the unlikely event that shit happened.
When I visited the cardiologist and asked about the trip I mentioned that iI still had a bit of pain in the chest area. He said, "Jerry don't you realize that they basically used logging equipment to spread your chest apart? So expect a little pain until it all heals up." I guess he was telling me to manup.

Your will be feeling better as time goes by.

God forbid, I was nearly contemplating a Can Am, now a serious option. Still keep my #1 girl however.
I have a Can AM parked in the garage right next to the Harley Ultra. The biggest drawback to owning one is the image that we're giving up on riding a two-wheeler, when in fact, we are just extending our riding experience by years or accommodating a different riding rationale. When I got the Spyder three years ago, it was because I went down on the Ultra and my wife decided that she didn't want to ride on the two-wheeler any more. The Spyder was a cheaper option to have a riding partner than a new wife. (Can't chrome the new wife, either.). Last year I had knee surgery and it was nice having a Spyder to fall back on.

Having said all of that in defense of a Can Am, the sucker is just plain fun, but I have to admit that I still wrestle with the image issue.

... He said, "Jerry don't you realize that they basically used logging equipment to spread your chest apart? So expect a little pain until it all heals up." I guess he was telling me to manup.Your will be feeling better as time goes by.
I love the analogy to "logging equipment". Chainsaw or broad axe - take your pick!

No split chest, but lots of broken bones. Remember this: your sternum was basically "broken" down the middle. That's a 6-8 week heal time to fuse the bone back together. Like any broken bone, where the fracture healed will be stronger than the surrounding bone due to the lack of pores in the "scar."

Having had to heal a few times, I'd say, give it the same amount of heal time as a broken leg. Then, structurally, you should be good to go.

Good luck!!

The official answer is six and a half weeks! (My answer, not the doctor's)

Very little chest-related pain in the last couple of weeks. Decided this morning that this is enough recovery time so I went out for 100 miles or so of easy local riding. (First since my surgery on April 20.) No issues at all other than the unpleasantness of a front tire that is way overdue for replacement. For the first time ever on this bike, I may have to pay a dealer to replace the tire since I don't think the sternum is ready for that activity yet.

I don't think I will do any longer trips for a couple more weeks and no MC camping for 3 or 4. I will likely confine my riding to Canada as well, for now (for health insurance reasons). I will have to be careful and conservative for some time but at least I'm "on the road again" - cue Willie Nelson here...

Latest posts