Suspension Set Up - Wilbers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPierre

Making up for lost time...
Reaction score
OK got my Wilbers installed and starting to look at the set up...

I have read a bunch of internet links which give a pretty good write

up on how to do it so I'm using this one

First step is measure/set rear preload....My measurements are:

Step one: 46mm (on the stand with topcase & tank bag, no sidebags);

Step two: 43mm (with the bike off the stand with topcase & tankbag, no sidebags); and

Step three: 37mm (with me on the bike with helmet+gear, topcase, tankbag but no sidebags: my 99% riding config).

I do the math and I get

Rider sag: (46-37)= 9mm (should be between 30-40mm)

Static sag: (46-43)= 3 mm (should be between 5-10mm)

The procedure suggests that:

Therefore if your rider sag is less than 30 mm then your preload is too hard, if it is more than 40 mm, then it is a bit soft. Once you have set your rider sag as close as possible to 30-40 mm, next check your static sag. If you have more than 10mm then you may need stiffer springs. If however, if your static sag is less than 5mm or you have no static sag then your springs may be too hard for your weight.

My Wilbers documentation says they have preadjusted the shock for 16mm of spring preload. The spring is 59/59-110-185 AA:329mm. I don't have hydraulic preload adjuster; just the hook wrench.

So what do I do now? It seems I need to remove all the factory installed preload and then crank off a further 10mm assuming I can go that far. How can the rider sag be so far off in a "custom shock"?? Or am I missing something?

(If you have followed me so far note that I have not installed the new fork springs yet but that should not matter for the initial rear prelaod measurement/setup should it...

I also rode this setup for 400+km yesterday over all types of roads and found that it was incredibly smooth on the slab seams & backroads frost heaves but did not get a good sense of what it was doing different in the twisties/sweepers though I did not push too hard)

Any advice?

Shadowfax3 on that other board told me that my measurements were "off" and he was right. I thought they were mm instead of cm.

So if i add a zero to all of them and do a remeasure to verify everything, I now get ....

Step one: 460mm (on the stand with topcase & tank bag, no sidebags);

Step two: 440mm (with the bike off the stand with topcase & tankbag, no sidebags); and

Step three: 395mm (with me on the bike with helmet+gear, topcase, tankbag but no sidebags: my 99% riding config).

I redo the math and I now get

Rider sag: (460-395)= 65mm (should be between 30-40mm)

Static sag: (460-440)= 20mm (should be between 5-10mm)

The procedure suggests that:

Therefore if your rider sag is less than 30 mm then your preload is too hard, if it is more than 40 mm, then it is a bit soft. Once you have set your rider sag as close as possible to 30-40 mm, next check your static sag. If you have more than 10mm then you may need stiffer springs. If however, if your static sag is less than 5mm or you have no static sag then your springs may be too hard for your weight.

So now I have too soft rider sag settings (65mm vs recommended 30-40mm) (hence the extreme comfort?) and so that means I can play with adding more rear preload to get closer to recommended 30-40mm.

Comments?

Pierre

03FJR1300

Ottawa,Canada

>Shadowfax3

got on this board early enough not to need a bike tag added to the nickname...

> It seems I need to remove all the factory installed preload and then crank off a further 10mm assuming I can go that far.

You need to loosen the locking nut and crank down more on the adjusting nut to add more preload. Good luck, it's a real bear.

Then when you want to add a passanger you get to do it again. I sent mine back for a new spring and the remote preload.

>How can the rider sag be so far off in a "custom shock"??

A good question that many have asked, but unanswered so far.

So now I have too soft rider sag settings (65mm vs recommended 30-40mm) (hence the extreme comfort?) and so that means I can play with adding more rear preload to get closer to recommended 30-40mm.
Comments?
Have you called up Klaus and ask him about these factory settings?