Suspension Upgrade Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerc

Reaction score
Please help me figure out my suspension upgrade.

I have an 05 with 27,000 miles with a bad rear shock.

I am replacing the rear with a Penske shock and need to decide what to do with the front shocks. I am on the bigger side at 6’3’ and 235 lbs and plan on keeping the bike for quite a few more years.

The shop doing the suspension upgrade is suggesting two alternatives, the first is expensive and uses a race tech set up with new springs, and valves etc. but it is expensive. The alternative is getting progressive springs and servicing the oil. This is much cheaper.

Has anyone done the full suspension front and rear and was it worth the cost?

If not I will go with the cheaper alternative.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

RC

Check out GP Suspension in the Portland, OR area. linky They can address your needs with new shocks and a custom rebuild on the forks. They're especially friendly to forum members and do great work. I'm a happy customer. ;)

I'm an expert. Find out who has a used stock shock sitting around their garage. Can't beat the price. (Bad at 27K? It took me 82K before I concluded mine needed replacing--and replaced it with a used stock that had 27K on it, just last weekend.)

At our size (I'm about 250#), full front and rear suspension is the way to go. The FJR was designed for about 150# rider, so you can half-ass the front end with thicker oil and the stock valving if you weigh up to the neighborhood of 190#; above that, you gotta start changing parts. I personally don't know how the progressive springs combined with a change in oil weight would do.

I do know GPSuspensions did my '05 a couple years ago and I've been a happy camper.

Buy the parts and do it yourself.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=127506

Worth every penny...and I was sceptical, cause at 185 lbs. I didn't think the front end was that bad. Until I took a ride after the install. Now I'm thinking the Penske needs a rebuild, the front feels better than the rear!

Edit: You missed the group buy on Racetech stuff, but the gold valves are cheap at MAW and cheapcycleparts.com has a deal on the springs.

Edit my edit: Just rememebered you have an 05...check those sites anyway, they had the best deals I could find. At your mileage, you probably ought to replace seals and bushings too. Don't ask how I know...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Penske on the rear and Eibach springs from Gp in the front. They sent the proper shims for my weight and I use 7.5 wt fork oil. Works well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend the money do both end you will never regret it. I have the hyper pro rear and race tech 1.0 from springs. This winter I will have the gold valves done on the front.

The FJR is a wallowing pig until you spend money for suspension upgrades.

I used GPS and annually make my 800 mile trek to spend $$ with them - they know what they are doing and have always treated me right.

The difference between stock and aftermarket is phenomenal. Remember the FJR has lower buy-in cost.. so you can spend the extra $$ for suspension/seats/GPS...

After market front and rear is worth every penny. I used GP suspension. They nailed the set up perfectly.