suspension upgrades

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrwhatfjis

Reaction score
Haven't posted for awhile. Good to be back and the weather is improving as well (riding weather very soon!!). I have a galaxy blue '05 with the factory suspension still on the bike. As you may imagine, the suspension feels less than ideal at this point with 37,000 miles on it. I told myself that this year I'd do something about it. I've done some initial investigation on this site and have found a variety of opinions and options to address the issue. I have already contacted GP suspension about their options (since they're right up the road in Oregon City- I'm in Eugene). Sounds like a good option for the back shock is a Penske(can't remember which model)built to my specifications and either an "upgraded" rebuild on the forks for about $590.00 or rebuild to OEM for about $190.00 if I remember correctly. I'm on a budget and need new rubber as well, so I want a bang-for-buck strategy on the suspension if at all possible. The rear Penske will set me back $775.00 already unless there is a cheaper alternative. Does anyone have recommendations on how to proceed on both the forks and shock?

At 37K if you have never had the forks apart you MUST at least change the fork oil. I would also suspect that the bushings are probably worn and need to be replaced. It would be nice to upgrade to the GP Suspensions fork valving but since we are trying to save some money you can live without it for now. So for now it's bushings, seals and an oil change for the forks are a must do.

Patriot has someone who is rebuilding the rear shock which are supposed to be not rebuildable so I don't know how well that option will work out. The price is good if it works out. I would be more inclined to go with an Olhin or Penske shock. GP Suspensions has both options and I can highly recommend the work that GP Suspensions do.

I went the full monty on my 06 AE (fork valving and a rebuild and respringing of my remote resevoir Wilbers) and am extremely happy with the outcome and consider it money well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having my stock shock rebuilt with all new high quality internals by Sasquatch Suspension (google it)

Total cost for complete rebuild is $475

I'll report how much I like it when complete and road tested

last year with the group buy, I purchased Eibach? fork strings which improved the front end

it's seems it's a great improvement to install front and rear springs that match you weight and riding style

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Eibach front springs from the folks at GP and flushed things out and used 7.5wt oil.

For a cheap upgrade on the rear you could use a gently used genII shock. It bolts right in and has a better spring rate because of the longer swing arm on genII bikes. When you get the bucks the Penske is real nice.

I rebuilt my forks at 20K miles. Bushings were worn, Seals started leaking at about 18K. Switched to the Honda fork oil. Rear is still waiting to be done.