SW Florida

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been in Florida for 6 months now and my best riding has been in the area south of Ocala, its not to much of a haul from Daytona. Not too awful, there is some horses to see. Not much else, I at one time lived in NC just north of Morganton. I loved that place for riding. I find myself riding my dual sport more and more down here do to the lack of fun roads. I rather hit the trails.

Have you seen this site???? Look here for routes: clicky

I like 42, 44, 455 etc... the area between Ocala and Orlando. Ain't much, but there are some curves and some open spaces.

I've been in Florida for 6 months now and my best riding has been in the area south of Ocala, its not to much of a haul from Daytona. Not too awful, there is some horses to see. Not much else, I at one time lived in NC just north of Morganton. I loved that place for riding. I find myself riding my dual sport more and more down here do to the lack of fun roads. I rather hit the trails.
Have you seen this site???? Look here for routes: clicky

I like 42, 44, 455 etc... the area between Ocala and Orlando. Ain't much, but there are some curves and some open spaces.
Sage,

Thank you for the great info. Are you going to make it to bike week this year?

A couple of friends and I worked our way from Orlando up through Ocala National Forrest last week. It was a pleasant ride with several crossings of the St. Johns river no elevation changes but I do recall riding for almost 3 minutes without seeing any cars, not easy here in tourist land!

There is also a road out of North Daytona, sorry I don't remember its name or road #, I'm sure somebody else will know it. The road started in a residential neighbourhood with trees that canopied over the road and then as we left town there were several sharp turns almost switchbacks thruogh and arround small bodies of water and wetlands until we reached A1A where of course you ride next to the Atlantic Ocean.

Hope this helps

We were headed toward Ocala and looking for Sugarloaf Mountain where someone had recommended on MotorcycleRoadsUSA. We knew we were within a couple of miles, at the top of a hill we could see for miles, but no mountain. Looked a the GPS and we are sitting on top of Orange Mountain. At 75 feet elevation, I guess mountain in Florida is relative. The bridge in Fort Myers was probably the highesst part of the trip.

At 75 feet elevation, I guess mountain in Florida is relative. The bridge in Fort Myers was probably the highesst part of the trip.
"Florida is so flat, you can stand on a dime and see both coasts..."

Highpoint.jpg

BTDTNSTS

(Been there. Done that. Nobody selling T-shirts!)

As you can see, the view from up there is - - - - well, not as good as it would be from a nice high tree-house!

For the OP, you might head up to Naples for these roads. . .

p202466-Naples_FL-At_the_swamp_buggy_races.jpg

Actually, some of the county-level roads across Florida around Ocala and northward aren't too bad, but you're talking a nearly day's ride to get there. State roads tend to long straight sections with good beneds every 2 or three miles, but are sometimes "heavily travelled." Haven't been as far south as Ft. Myers, so I can't say anything about that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading down to the air show in the morning, the one near the Cape. My favorite run for me in Daytona is right up the coast to St Augustine. Lots of stops and the ocean view is nice. I'm going to hit the BRP area in NC this May, I'm over due for some elevation changes... :)

Strangely enough, the monument is on lower ground. I disqualified it on those "grounds."

And the bathrooms are higher[/i[ than this sign. I hope the plumbing's good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely enough, the monument is on lower ground. I disqualified it on those "grounds."
And the bathrooms are higher than this sign. I hope the plumbing's good.
Walt's been drinkin' agin.

Fixed that closed italics for ya!

BTW, if the Silver Streak gets back on the road soon, count me in on future rides. :yahoo:

There is also a road out of North Daytona, sorry I don't remember its name or road #, I'm sure somebody else will know it. The road started in a residential neighbourhood with trees that canopied over the road and then as we left town there were several sharp turns almost switchbacks thruogh and arround small bodies of water and wetlands until we reached A1A where of course you ride next to the Atlantic Ocean.Hope this helps
"Ormond Loop"

Probably too far you SW riders but you're sure welcome: clicky