SW Motech Mirror Extenders Do the Job?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azokie

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the SW Motech mirror extenders on their 2014 FJR? The extenders appear to move the mirrors up and a little out but it looks to me like the extenders would not help moving the mirrors outside my shoulders. Anyone have actual experience they can share about the SW Motech mirror extenders?

Hi John,

Go to the "FJR Forum" tab and do a search for "Motech extenders" and you will get a whole slew of past discussion on this.

I've been using these mirror extenders on my '07 for a couple of years now. I think they're great. I can still see my elbows in the mirrors

but they only block the lower inboard corners now making the mirrors much more functional.. The extenders are well made, install easily and

don't alter the appearance of the bike.

They will do the job. However, it is a crude way to do it. FZ1 mirrors will do the job right, and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Buy OEM Gen FZ1 mirrors. Not the cheap knock offs.

I've looked at the FZ1 mirrors and it appears that they are the same as the FZ6's (or darn close). Has anyone tried them?? They seem to be more available on fleabay as well.

The SW Motech spacers do not move the mirror heads out nearly enough for me. Some people are just fine with the stock mirror view (I was not) so that just goes to show that opinions will vary greatly.

Be careful buying mirrors on eBay. Mostly what you'll find there are the cheap knock offs (like Emgo brand) which many folks have been dissatisfied with.

If all you want to do is to fix the mirror situation, a set of OEM Yamaha 1st Gen FZ1 mirrors will do the job. It will cost you about $150 but it will be money well spent. You will need to put some washers under the mirrors to space them out of the 3rd gen faring depressed mirror mount area, but not too much. You may also be able to file or grind the mirror base (there is one square corner that needs to be relived) so that it will fit into the depressed area.

Here's my thread on messing with mirror extenders, then adding FZ1 mirrors instead, and eventually also spacing them out far enough to put light brackets underneath. I apologize that it is a bit drawn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my thread on messing with mirror extenders, then adding FZ1 mirrors instead, and eventually also spacing them out far enough to put light brackets underneath. I apologize that it is a bit drawn out.
Why are you apologizing Fred? That "drawn out" thread is a prime example of your wonderful contributions to this forum. Even though I don't like you
no.gif

I appreciate the effort and ingenuity that went into that project. That took intelligence, imagination, foresight, mechanical talent, and tenacity. Then to be able to put the information into words we can all understand, with pictures... Well, I only wish I could do that sort of goodness. Thank goodness you ride an FJR and we get the benefit of your wisdom and talents. I'd hate to see that wasted on the BMW forums.

HotRodZilla and FredW offered great advice. Go with the OEM FZ1 mirrors. If you shop well you can find them for less than $150. I bought mine in 2009 for $38.00 each. I do not remember where I got them but try PartShark.com. If you get them let me know and I can send you some 1/8" rubber material that works great to fill the recess in the fairing. If you are interested in seeing how that looks, send me a PM with you email address and I will send you a few pics. I am not patient enough to fart around trying to attach pics on this forum.

I went with the Emgo FZ1 replacement mirrors. They are farther out and up and give an excellent view behind.

Even if you can get the stock ones out more, they are still a bit low.

Had the same problem with my ST1100 and couldn't see behind me when I had a tent and bedroll strapped across the seat.

It remains to be seen if the Emgo will last as long as the OEM FZ1s but at $40/pr, I had to try .

Just picked up a used set of FZ1's on fleabay for $44 and change shipped. Once I get in the rest of my pieces, I think I'm done with the farkles for a while. Save some $ and buy a smuggler.