SW-MOTECH Vibration-Damped Quick Release GPS Holder | Works with Stock Bars only

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
I am quite big on keeping the 'dash' as clean and neat (no unruly cables etc). Which led me to buy the SW-MOTECH Vibration-Damped Quick Release GPS Holder. I had planned to mount a GPS unit to this using a Ram Cradle and Ball. Very efficient shipping from TwistedThrottle and I had the mount in my hands in no time. And then Murphy struck.

My 09AE has the Helibar Risers installed. With these in place the mount height become a bit too short. The base mount frame stops right in front of the handle bars, which then restricts the turning. Less than a half an inch turn on the bars and the mount stops the turn.

Customer service at TwistedThrottle looked into it with my pictures and confirmed my fears. Mount not compatible with 'Rised' handlebars. Unit will need to be returned for a refund.

The hunt now continues for a good tank bolts mounted GPS/Phone holder. Alternative would be to look at a stem mount.

I think I would make some aluminum spacers to raise the mount the same amount as the risers and use longer bolts. Some aluminum stock and a lathe would see it done in short order. Any machine shop or hobby machinist could knock it right out.

I think I would make some aluminum spacers to raise the mount the same amount as the risers and use longer bolts. Some aluminum stock and a lathe would see it done in short order. Any machine shop or hobby machinist could knock it right out.
I'll look around and find someone local. Thanks for the idea.

Unless you're opposed to Ram Mounts, a couple balls in the existing tapped holes work well. I have the same Heli riser and use two, one each for a GPS cradle and X-Grip for the iPhone.

Happy hunting.

--G

This one from Motorcycle Larry works great for me. The price is right and the quality appears to be at OEM level. What's nice is everything I own (attachments, etc.) are RAM so this works out perfect and nothing extra needed for adaptation.

42ff7f18ab268c868610794c8e327d37.image.198x237.JPG

Unless you're opposed to Ram Mounts, a couple balls in the existing tapped holes work well. I have the same Heli riser and use two, one each for a GPS cradle and X-Grip for the iPhone.
Happy hunting.

--G
Thanks. Can you share a pic of your set up?

Happy hunting.

--G

Also, is the 'height' at which the installed ball and gadget sits any problem in relation to the height of the HeliBarred Handles?

I have the MCL riser with a Rambone attached to the Ram mount for the GPS.. Works very well and still allows the use of the other 2 open ball mounts on the plate.

Happy hunting.

--G
Wonder if there are 'Techmounts' Balls available to use on the tapped holes on the Helibars.

You betcha...

Ram Balls using the existing tapped holes.

RamBalls_zpsc7dea490.jpg

GPS cradle and X-Grip holder.

RamMounts_zps672ad30e.jpg

Also, is the 'height' at which the installed ball and gadget sits any problem in relation to the height of the HeliBarred Handles?
Both mounts are using the medium length arms. You might want to consider the long arms with higher bars. Let me know if you'd like more pics or have add'l questions.

--G

You betcha...

Ram Balls using the existing tapped holes.

RamBalls_zpsc7dea490.jpg

GPS cradle and X-Grip holder.

RamMounts_zps672ad30e.jpg

Both mounts are using the medium length arms. You might want to consider the long arms with higher bars. Let me know if you'd like more pics or have add'l questions.

--G

What size Ram Balls on the riser holes?

What size Ram Balls on the riser holes?
The Ram Balls are standard 1" size. According to Heli, the tapped holes are 3/8" x 16, check them with a course thread 3/8" bolt to confirm.

--G

Thanks much!

I'm trying to see if Techmount have a Ball that I can use instead of the Ram Ball. I haven't invested in any Ram compatible accessories yet. If Techmount doesn't work, Ram buying spree will happen!