T-stem metal tire valves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadi

Reaction score
I have to swap out the stock rubber valves and wish to install the t-stem metal valves,

because the FJR has limited clearance to the brake calipers, the best stems to use are T-stems I believe. These allow vertical mounting of the TPMS sensors and have a side valve to allow checking/adding air without removing the sensors. However I don't know what size is correct for a 2006 FJR .625 or .453? If you could weigh in that would be appreciated.

https://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES.html

Thanks Gadi

However I don't know what size is correct for a 2006 FJR .625 or .453? If you could weigh in that would be appreciated.
All FJRs use a 11.3 mm stem....which converts to 0.445 inches. That's a bit smaller than the .453, but WAY different than .625.

I need to ask a dumb question. Why not just mount TPMS sensors on the 83 degree metal valve stems we all know and love?

I need to ask a dumb question. Why not just mount TPMS sensors on the 83 degree metal valve stems we all know and love?
I wondered the same thing....but I haven't seen this particular stem before so am withholding judgement. It sure seems like there's a lot of metal there. :)

Because the FJR has limited clearance to the brake calipers.Why take a chance of the TMPS knocking into them, as well the T allows you to adjust the pressure without removing the sensor and wearing on the seal. Does this kind of make sense?

Because the FJR has limited clearance to the brake calipers.Why take a chance of the TMPS knocking into them, as well the T allows you to adjust the pressure without removing the sensor and wearing on the seal. Does this kind of make sense?
The aluminum 83 degree stems can be oriented any way and aren't close to being an issue with calipers...unless you have some huge TPMS units. Since I run the Garmin...they're the same as removing a stem cap. Seems like you're brewing up a recipe with lots of unsprung weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question if I may. The Garmin sensors are 15 grams in weight. Did you reblance your wheel or just add a 15 gram weight to the opposite side?

Another question if I may. The Garmin sensors are 15 grams in weight. Did you reblance your wheel or just add a 15 gram weight to the opposite side?
I have my own tire equipment and I put the sensor on when I swapped the tire....so balanced with it installed.

If I didn't have it...I would probably just add weight until my next tire change.

When using the 83 degree stems, is there any problem if they are oriented forward or backward? I would prefer to not have the stem directed toward the side.
I cannot say that doing so would present any issue but I cannot say I would do it. The angled valve stems make life so much easier when accessing the stems to check or add air. I have never had any issue with anything damaging them, they are very short and well protected by the width of the rim.

I can hardly wait for the first tire change so I can replace the rubber stems with the Arietes.

I was planning to get the Garmin TPMS twin pack for Christmas and put them on my Ariete valve stems. Already figured out it would work, but that plan went all to hell when I got a sweater instead.
not_i.gif

Another thought...I bet the aluminum CNC machined Ariete valve stem plus a TPMS sensor is close to the weight of the steel T alone.

I have to swap out the stock rubber valves and wish to install the t-stem metal valves,because the FJR has limited clearance to the brake calipers, the best stems to use are T-stems I believe. These allow vertical mounting of the TPMS sensors and have a side valve to allow checking/adding air without removing the sensors. However I don't know what size is correct for a 2006 FJR .625 or .453? If you could weigh in that would be appreciated.

https://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES.html

Thanks Gadi

When using the 83 degree stems, is there any problem if they are oriented forward or backward? I would prefer to not have the stem directed toward the side.
I cannot say that doing so would present any issue but I cannot say I would do it. The angled valve stems make life so much easier when accessing the stems to check or add air. I have never had any issue with anything damaging them, they are very short and well protected by the width of the rim.

I can hardly wait for the first tire change so I can replace the rubber stems with the Arietes.
I remember talk of this before, both for the TPMS and for ease of use when checking the air pressures. I have angled stems on mine and like having them face my dominate hand when squatting either in front or behind the bike. Just makes it easier. As far as use with the sensor, here's part of one other thread where members have gone down the same road as you.

https://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES-PURCHASE.html

I have these on my bike along with the Garmin sensors. I have about 8000 miles on them with no problem. The front one is mounted at a 45 degree angle and the rear at 90 with no clearance problems. I installed them with a new set of tires and they needed about an extra 1/2 oz of weight over the stock valve stems. No vibration and the sensors work great on the Garmin. I like being able to add air and read the pressures on the Garmin at the same time. I still check the pressure with a gauge about once a month just to verify everything.

Anyone use the Moto Track 2 display/sensors the site sells (in addtion to t-stems)?

Latest posts