Tank Bag Recommendations? Anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldinvt

Reaction score
I've searched and, much to my amazement, I couldn't find a thread about good tank bags. I was surprised not to find it in the "Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads" forum...

Anyway, as the title says, what works for you??

Loving my first week with the FJRAE,

Rob

First off Welcome to the Forum and the FJR!! Check out the link below and it will assist you with searching the forum.

Search FAQ

Secondly, I use the Tour Master tank bag that I bought at Cycle Gear and it works well. Even for transporting animals??

Clicky

JW

I've searched and, much to my amazement, I couldn't find a thread about good tank bags. I was surprised not to find it in the "Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads" forum...

Rob
+1 on TourMaster bags. I have used the one I have for three years now, and could not be happier. Worked great on my 04R1, and great on the FJR.

Rob
Best bag is a Big Mak, it mounts to your gas filler ring and doesn't touch the tank at all. It folds forward to access the gas filler.

It comes as a two part bag. That means you can use it three ways. You can contact them here

However it is expensive. Even though they show that its made for BMW's, they also make them for the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best bag is a Big Mak, it mounts to your gas filler ring and doesn't touch the tank at all. It folds forward to access the gas filler.It comes as a two part bag. That means you can use it three ways. You can contact them here

However it is expensive. Even though they show that its made for BMW's, they also make them for the FJR.

+1 on the Big Mak :thumbsupsmileyanim:

....except, given the quality of the bags, the fact that they don't touch your tank and that you can easily refuel without removing the bag, I don't think they're that expesive at all. Also, the website isn't so good. So call. They have GREAT personal service.

I agree with the Big Mak.

I had one on my BMW and the mounting platen was the first accessory that I bought for the FJR

Rapid Transit RECON 19 Magnetic. I bought it when I got the FJR and it works very well - especially if you like to carry your music and water supply in your tankbag.

It all depends on what you want to carry in your tank bag. If you just want to put your wallet and extra glasses the cortech mini mag is great. If you want to put your rain gear, coat liner etc you may want to get one of the expandable bags. good luck

Of course, you should preface your question with "how much do you want to carry in your tank bag". I - and apparently others - are minimalists. So, the Joe Rocket Manta is perfect for just about every trip. I suppose if you are an iron butt rider or doing other real long distance stuff then you want something larger. For commuting and 1-2 day trips the Manta works fine.

Two thoughts that might prove helpful to you, or not.

First, Chase Harper (Santa Barbara, CA) makes a magnetic bag that fits the FJR tank shape really well. It has a thoughtful design and includes a water bladder, mesh pockets on top and sides, bungees on top, backpack style carrying straps tucked away underneath, etc. It's a great bag but, candidly, I am the only FJR rider I have ever seen using it.

Second - Roughly a year and a half ago Motorcycle Consumer News did a story on a bag that mounted to a receiver you install around the gasoline filler. Snap on/off. Never touches the actual tank. It looked really cool but I have never seen one on a bike, only photos.

Gunny on the Rapid Transit Recon 19, more features than you can shake a stick at.

Plus..it has a pocket that I swear was designed to fit the Zumo 550. It fits perfect when out of the mount.

Two thoughts that might prove helpful to you, or not.
First, Chase Harper (Santa Barbara, CA) makes a magnetic bag that fits the FJR tank shape really well. It has a thoughtful design and includes a water bladder, mesh pockets on top and sides, bungees on top, backpack style carrying straps tucked away underneath, etc. It's a great bag but, candidly, I am the only FJR rider I have ever seen using it.
Do you recall what model bag it is?

I use and love the engage tank bag from Twisted Throttle. You install a mtg. ring around your gas tank filler cap then the bag snaps on or off. Does not touch the tank , but you have to look close to notice that. They have two sizes, I chose the small one.

www.TwistedThrottle.com

Mac

Thanks for all the input so far, FJers, and the tips on searching. Very helpful all...

As far as what I plan to carry in it, it's usually glove raincovers, extra earplugs, Autocom/FRS/MP3/cell, maps (a window would be nice), sidestand plate, Gerbings switch, water bottle or hydration bladder, digicam, maybe a sandwich or other snack... Clothes if I'm out of space everywhere else... Also, not that I want to crash into anything soft, but I'd rather not carry anything too hard/pointy/heavy in it that would add to crash trauma.

I guess I'm most interested in what FITS the FJR the best. Looking at the handlebars, there's a pretty narrow space left once you've moved them to full lock in both directions which would lead me to believe that a large tankbag is a no-go. The Yamaha one is likely a perfect fit but it looks like ass...

I've borrowed a Cortech Super Mini which fit great, but is small as heck. I'll go to the local dealer to try on the next size up (12 or 14 liters) tomorrow. I'm leaning in this direction and need to finish this on Wednesday, whether I order something or buy local.

I've always been wary of using magnets on my nice paint, but I think I'll have to get over it. I'll just use some tool tray liner mat'l under the bag to protect the tank. Of course I'll be sure to use any supplied safety straps to make sure I don't lose it... the tank bag, that is.

In re: to the tankring-installed units, they sure look slick and I've been using a discontinued Bagster product on my '03 VFR that mounts to the forward tank bolts and works very well. My only issue with them is the metal plate that the bags actually mount to and the whole safety thing... Paranoid, perhaps, but if nothing else, the magnet bags are generally much cheaper!

Thanks again,

Rob

Rapid Transit RECON 19 Magnetic. I bought it when I got the FJR and it works very well - especially if you like to carry your music and water supply in your tankbag.
Those with the RECON 19 - Is there adequate clearance for full-lock handlebar turns in both directions? It looks reeal nice! How long have you had them and are they holding up well?

Two things I hate about a black tank bag , like every one I've ever owned:

1. Do I want my stuff even hotter when the sun's baking? No. Silver, please.

2. The bag on my VFR is a sort of muddy brownish black now... Silver, please.

I'll STFU now...

FNG FTW! :yahoo:

Paul - I think that it is the Model 650. Go to chaseharper.com, click on tankbags and then the 650. The one shown in the photo is the non-magnetic one but the blurb explains that it is available either way.

Paul - I think that it is the Model 650. Go to chaseharper.com, click on tankbags and then the 650. The one shown in the photo is the non-magnetic one but the blurb explains that it is available either way.

That's a good-looking bag too... I think I like it better than the Recon. There are images there for the magnetic mount bag and removable mapcase installed... Mouse over the "Magnetic" & "Regular" buttons and the little camera...

Thanks for the model number!