Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebz1a

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I have taken you guys advice. I'm a competitive high power shooter, and I have learned if you want to find out the right way, ask a high master, so I'm asking you,what tank bag would you recommend? Thanks

Um, depends. How much stuff, will you put power into it, do you need a map pocket, do you want a stackable so you can choose how much stuff? Also, are your handlebars moved up and back with a riser kit that might make a large bag interfere with your kill switch?

Which bag is kind of like which windshield, which tire, or which oil, or even which gun. There's not an answer.

That said, I really like my Nelson-Riggs, but it's a model no longer available. So basically I have no recommendation. I just played because it's Friday. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 ionbeam; good thread!

Awhile back, I picked up the Cortech Super 2.0 18 Liter Magnetic Tank Bag to replace my old Cortech that was falling apart (8 years old). The bag is HUGE and has a zippered expansion to allow it to pop up even taller (the pop-up is maintained with hard panels inside that flip down). It DOES hit the controls a bit when turning the handlebars to the extreme, but I expected that since I have the MCL triple tree installed (brings the bars back quite a bit). This is not a problem so long as you remain aware of it. So far, I'm loving it. The magnets are strong, it easily accomodates an extra visor in a nice padded case that fits the curves of the bag, has the waterproof exits for wiring and water, and it has a lot of pockets. The map window is smallish, but it's perfect for route list. Yes, tank bags are as contentious as oil and tires around here. :D

Like wfooshee said, there is no real answer to your question.

Some guys like to take the side bags off for a day ride and use a smaller tank bag.

On multi-day trips a larger bag might be what you are looking for.

I suggest you go to the accessory store/s and try them out on the motorcycle for the selection of your choice.

I use a large Twisted Throttle variety with their "Quick-Lock"

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6921/815/

I don't see the actual bag that I use (I bought it ~2 yrs ago), but it's one of the bigger ones.

I like the quick disconnect, but a magnetic would do the same thing for less esp as the top/bottom rings are only available from TT AFAIK (maybe that's changed). The QL works for me as the bag is absolutely locked in regardless of weather conditions/wind/etc - but may be overkill for what you want. The next tankbag I get will just get the QL setup switched to it most likely which opens up many other brands.

Like has been said before - what will you use it for? - do you LD, or just want it to keep handy stuff for shorter runs? There are MANY options out there.

One big question is magnetic vs. strap mount. I personally love my magnetic tank bag, just so easy to pull off for fueling or taking into a motel room on a trip. Downsides is they can be a little rough on the paint and a thief can grab and go. BUT, once on, that thing is rock solid at any speed.

One big question is magnetic vs. strap mount. I personally love my magnetic tank bag, just so easy to pull off for fueling or taking into a motel room on a trip. Downsides is they can be a little rough on the paint and a thief can grab and go. BUT, once on, that thing is rock solid at any speed.
I have a smallish MotoCentric magnetic that works really well on the FJR clicky

I've had a bunch of tankbags, but this is the first magnetic tankbag that I've tried and although Spud is correct on all counts as to the disadvantages, it's MUCH more convenient when fueling than the strapped bags. Even when the tube for my hydration system is attached to the tankbag, it's fast and easy to get off the bike, centerstand it and move the tankbag on to the seat than to unclip straps, fuel and then retighten straps.

This bag is a little on the small side, but it's taken me years to figure out that it's better to err on the small side with tankbags than to get one that's too big.

This picture looks more like an Antlers at Vail advertisement than an illustration of the tankbag, but it'll have to do. The Antlers at Vail IS a great place to stay, by the way!

530193_3484337913055_1915955740_n.jpg

This is my Fieldsheer magnetic. It's served me well. Looks big on there but no problem while riding--I put a pair of tennis shoes in there and sometimes lean forward against it. Magnets are super-strong. Good sized map window also, waterproof cover, expandable.

DSCF0048.jpg

I got talked into an RKA tankbag by the dealer selling me my bike back in 2000. It was pricey but I bought it anyway. I have not regretted it to this day.

It's not all fancy and trendy and stylish like a lot of modern tank bags but it is tough. I have not treated this bag nicely over the years. I commuted with it daily till I found the wonders of a top box. When I got home I threw the tankbag in a corner. I had so much of my daily crap in it that it became my man purse and it even went with me in the car (though not the mall) and got used pretty much every day.

The bag is showing almost no signs of wear. I'd love the excuse to go buy a new one, but I can't because this one is still too good. There's no broken threads, nothing. The only sign of wear is the wrinkles on the plastic map cover, and I'm not sure there's a way for the manufacturer to keep that looking good the way I have treated it.

Give them a look -> https://www.rka-luggage.com/A01%20Products/prod.html

I have been through about 10 tank bags in the last 3 years but most recently bought a Firstgear Silverstone. I am very happy with its size and durability. I was impressed enough with the quality that I added the matching tailbag...

Here is a link to the bag...

FirstGear Tank Bag

Shag

One of my favorite features of my magnetic tank bag? When its not on the bike it is stuck to the side of the beer fridge in the garage. You do have to watch those magnets. They will pick up undesireable stuff and sandwhich it between the magnet and the tank and scratch your tank.

Joe

Facing this same dilemma and needing a place to put printed instructions, I bought a 3rd street magnetic tank bag on ebay for $35. All I required for that money was it t hold my maps and maybe a pack of smokes and a Gatorade for a weekend trip. It was great, its expandable but I never needed the extra space. It did well in the rain, 150 miles of drizzle and a few frog stranglers. I only put the cover on it the last 20 miles when I noticed the cover on my tailbag flapping in the breeze.