Tank Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijuggle

Reaction score
Is anyone selling tank bra's for the Gen 3?

If not, what are you using to protect your tanks paint from wear?

Any other tall riders have their knees rub the fairing a little? What can you do to protect the paint there?

Is anyone selling tank bra's for the Gen 3?
If not, what are you using to protect your tanks paint from wear?

Any other tall riders have their knees rub the fairing a little? What can you do to protect the paint there?
My plan for my 2014 FJR is to get a Bagster tank cover https://www.bagster.com/en/ They are expensive but made and work very well. I had one on my ST1100 for nearly 10 years and I also had one on my late ST1300 for nearly 10 years. One can get different tank bags to attach to the cover also.

Get some MCL lowering pegs and your knees won't even reach the red tank, they'll rub the tanks silver trim piece. If you really feel like you need something, get the techspec pads on the sides and top. You've got that huge expanse of beautiful candy red paint between your legs to look down at, why cover it with something that looks like Hannibel Lecter would wear with the unfortunate name of bagster (ouch).

I'm running Tech-Spec Snakeskin pads on my 2013. They apply easily, stick like glue, and can be removed easily.

DSC00013_zpsd484e7a6.jpg

I stick some duct tape on the tank when I think I need it, this pic shows it put on to protect from a magnetic bag, but you can cover the sides for your knees.

(Click on image for larger view)

It will probably ruck up a bit under your knees, but guarantees to protect the paintwork completely, unlike a tank bra, which, if it does get any dirt underneath, can make nasty marks, all bras squirm a little.

When you want to remove or replace it, the tape pulls off, any glue residue cleans off easily with WD40.

Would look like cr*p on a red tank
rolleyes.gif
, but you can buy a lot of tape for the price of a bra. Did I say I was a cheap b*sta*rd?

I ordered a Mag Knight, but it doesn't fit the 2014 Gas Tank. Cutout for the gas fill was slightly to small and whole thing was to wide to fit the raised portion and too narrow to go over the raised edges of the tank.

I ordered a Mag Knight, but it doesn't fit the 2014 Gas Tank. Cutout for the gas fill was slightly to small and whole thing was to wide to fit the raised portion and too narrow to go over the raised edges of the tank.
Are you sure you received the correct one? Tanks are the same for GEN IIs and GEN IIIs so I'd think Mag Knight would have it figured out. Install takes a little bit of patience and heat for the correct fit.

--G