Tankslapper kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feliz

Reaction score
Hi, did a search but couldn't find much although I know it's been discussed.

I'm suprised at the poor quality paint on these bikes, in three weeks and a few hundred kilos my paint already looks terrible where my legs hug the tank, also where my jacket has apparently rubbed the tank although there's no metal.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has ordered and installed the Tankslapper total protection kit and how the fit and quality was. Any comments please, positive or negative.

I bought the full kit. For the money its a good choice. The plastic is thin but offers ok protection. I have 5000 miles and 6 months...so far so good. Its a pain to get all the edge's to stick down....I still have some with air under. I also bought the magknight deal for top and tank sides. I give the tankslaper 7.5 of 10. Figure 4 to 6 hour install time and use shampo in the water. see (piratesk12site.net/MVTankslapper.html) good info on install......Good luck

I've gotta say any bike I've ever owned no matter how flash always had wear marks where there was no obvious after market protection. If in doubt carbon fibre or a cover of your choice is highly recommended IMHO.

Good luck

I had the full protection Tank Slapper Kit on mine. It was OK but not without problems. Try as I might I could not get the material down so it looked half way decent. Always had bubbles and the edges tended to lift. Then once in a car wash, (they say don't use high pressure spray) I blew it off.

Instead, I just ordered from here:

https://www.techspec-usa.com/gs/yamaha.html

This doesn't give protection to the top of the tank but I think it looks better than the bubble look.

If you do decide to go the Tank Slapper route do not use the plastic spreader they give you. It doesn't work that good. Buy a 3M rubber squeegy (used for applying body filler) about 2" X 3". It will bend and contour to the surface and work a whole lot better.

I have the tankslapper tank and side cover kit. I did not buy the full kit. I wanted something that would come off when I need it to, and the full kit includes some of the 3m stuff that goes on once only. My ts kit is great. Best 20 dollar farkle since the vista cruise. My gear is kevlar, and rough to the touch on paint. PATIENCE putting it on will result in the transparent look that the website shows. Use the soft side of a piece of velcro stuck to a credit card or bondo scraper to smoothe things out. Make sure the water is clean, wax the tank before application. Use a hairdryer to soften it up. The hardest piece to apply is the crotch piece, and it may not look perfect, but the protection is there, and you can take the extra 80 bucks you didn't spend on the magknight and buy something cool with it. The mags have their issues also. I just didn't like the look of it. The carbon fiber pieces are sticky as well, and if your bike is the fast(blue) one, you might notice some difference in the color underneath after awhile(think bumper sticker removed from dark painted car). I had some installation issues, so I called TS. They VERY patiently walked me through it. Good folks. I have had the kit for over a year now. I take it off to wax the tank, then just reapply. I almost wish it didn't work so well, so I could give them some more business. Since you can easily spend 20 bucks at a fast food place nowadays, its not much of a gamble. Pass on the supersize and buy it. If you don't like it, you're not out very much.

Ride safe.

If anyone has been tempted to buy a Mag-Knight tank protecter ( like I did) and was put off by the price then check out this place and get a 2'X24" roll for $69.00 (shorter rolls are even less of course) and choose your color to boot. then just cut out exactly the size you need. I use this stuff in my job and it's exactly like the MK. I haven't see any colors other than white, but they would probably send you color swatches of the colors available if you asked.. I tried painting some of the stuff I got from work but it dosen't hold up at all. I also made my protecter into 3 pieces with narrow cuts between the sides and back of tank so it goes on in seconds. Merry Christmas!!

https://www.magnetking.com/#regularmagnet

I have done a couple of these kits. I have found a couple of useful tips.

A good coat of wax wherever you are installing.

The careful addition of heat with a hairdryer really helps with the edges.

(If you dry too fast, it defeats the purpose).

If you flub a piece, peel it off and start over.

I tried soap mixed with the water, but have had better results mixing rubbing alchohol in instead.

Any dust on between the material and the bike shows up, flood with water/alchohol solution.

Some pieces, like for the top of the bags, can come too close to an edge. This makes the edges prone to lifting up and blowing off later.

I trim them back a little before installing.

I haven't had any pieces blow off my second set in 12000 miles.

Don't get ANY water on the pieces before removing the paper backing.

The triangular 3M piece under the radiator is a MOTHER to get right. My first two ended up in the trash.

Good Luck!

John

Like everyone else, I too experienced problems with the film. Once it is on right, ie no air bubbles, it looks good and works fairly well. It does require patience and being sober at time of install is a big plus.

Good Luck

Capt. Bob