Tankslappers vs Mag-knight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Does anyone have a mag-knight tank protector on their bike? I checked out their website and they have color match tank protedtor that looks nice, just wondering how it compares to tankslappers the mag-knight is much more money.

I had the Mag-Knight on my 2002 red VFR. Went with the black carbon fiber version. Now on my 08 black FJR I have the 'clear' Tankslapper. So I may be comparing apples to oranges... But, I prefer the TS. Its less expensive and is better at 'fading to the background' as it were so you don't notice it anymore. The only issue I have with the TS or any of these protective items is that while they seek to protect the finish - its also apparent yah got some durn film over your nice finish... bleck! :puke: But as I said, the TS is less of an issue in this regard.

Scott

Can't speak about the TankSlapper. I can speak for the MagKnight. Have had one on my 07 since the first month. Went with black metallic because they could not get the color match just right for the 07 color. It blends in visually just fine, protects like it's supposed to, and they have great support of their product.

I just put a gloss black Mag-Knight on my '08. Blends in very well...a real quality product.

I have the Mag Knight on my 06. Not a perfect match (kind of purple in the direct sun) :unsure: but it works as advertised.

My tank bag magnets did leave dimples in the vinyl but no marks on the tank.

I have the Mag-Knight on my '08. Upon installation, it took a few days to work out the last tiny bends to lay flat. I'm referring to the area at the center of the tank. But now it is perfect. Most people have to look twice to see that it's there. My riding suit has some areas around the knee area that are abrasive. I had already ruined the tank. I covered it up with the Mag-Knight and it's holding up very well. You won't be disappointed.

I put on both. The Tankslapper has brown spots on it and looks bad. I removed it this year. I have had it since late 04 on the bike. The saddle bag covers lasted less than a year. One major rain and one disapeared. Then they replaced it then the other one disappeared. The mag-knight still looks good and I am still using it. Short term Tankslapper. Keep the bike long term Mag-Knight.

I have the TS on my 08. The only thing I don't like is it didn't seem to stick very well when it got extrememly hot, like 100+ degrees or sitting in the sun for a long time. I noticed the edges began to unstick a little and I was always pressing them back down. It got so bad I reordered a new film for the top of the tank and put it on. It seems to be working fine now that the weather has cooled. I think my original application I didn't use quite enough rubbing alcohol in the mixture. That may have caused it to not stick as well. The 2nd application I did use a little more alcohol.

I've had a Mag-Knight on my '08 for a couple of months. I do like it with a few "buts"... I have found that when I dry the bike with the B&D leaf blower (don't knock it till you try it) after washing, it will usually blow off. I have started removing it before washing (which I should be doing anywas), which leads me to my second "But". It is a small hassle to put back on. I have remedied that by marking the lower center edge of the Mag-Knight and the lighter silver trim on the bike where the two meet to help with re-aligning it... still a small hassle, but easier. I have no experience with the TS product All in all the Mag-Knight is an excellent product, very un-obtrusive, and, once you get the hang of it, easy to work with (follow the DVD instructions). I even received a call from them when they found they could not call up my zip code (my bad) and called to verify.

I have the TS on my 06 AE, grey. On the grey the think is invisible. I know its there and can barly see it. Mines been on for a little over a year now with no spots or peeling. Couldnt be happier.