tech spech tank pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverdog

Reaction score
anybody using Tech Spec tank pads ?? what do you think of them, good or bad ?? how do they look , never seen in person?

do the clear ones look better??

thanks......

Got 'em in snake skin. had them on since the bike was new in 06. Tech Spec has them for both Gen l and Gen ll FJRs, I like the first generation protectors, they're longer and a little narrower than the ones for the 2nd generation FJRs

P5100021.jpg

I also have them and like them. I tried the clear stuff but it would never stay put. A car wash sprayer would take them off if you hit them just right. And the clear ones were never really clear. They have been on there for a long time, no problems.

I put them on my R1, which is my track bike. They provide great grip; before, my leg kept slipping as I was hanging off. The grips solved that problem.

I also have them and like them. I tried the clear stuff but it would never stay put. A car wash sprayer would take them off if you hit them just right. And the clear ones were never really clear. They have been on there for a long time, no problems.
I have tried the Tankslapper clear film but like yo said it comes off too easy and yellows quickly. I switched to the 3M clear, film from the same Tankslapper company and that works like magic to protect the pain in the high wear areas.

Question for the current owners/users: in the demo video the guy easily peels off the tech skin of the side of the tank. But there is no mention as to whether it can be stuck back on or not, i.e. is that adhesive reusable?

Have Snake Skin on my R6. If I keep my FJr, will get a set for it as well. So far has stayed on well.

I meant can it be re-applied once removed, or is it a one-time deal?
The adhesive needs a certain amount of time to cure. You have an open time to get it right. After that, I think it is permanent. Never tried though.

Code:
Question for the current owners/users: in the demo video the guy easily peels off the tech skin of the side of the tank. But there is no mention as to whether it can be stuck back on or not, i.e. is that adhesive reusable?
Yes it is reusable. BTW if you have a short inseam [like me] you will have to reshape the pad & stick it to both sides of the plastic cover at the base of tank.

Sit on bike & position pad where knee contacts cover.......easy. If you have to reshape the pad DO NOT REMOVE THE BACKING FROM THE PAD until you are satisfied with the shape.

Put the Snakeskins on mine comin up on two years ago, very happy w/ the product so far, easy to get a good install thanks to the feature of being able to lift & reposition. No idea whether it could be easily removed at this point [haven't tried], but it does seem to stay put nicely. They were great to work with, I wanted the knee pads slightly reshaped & had them cut me a completely custom top pad as per a template I made/supplied. As some one else said, No Slidey w/ the lightest of knee hug, and great under panic stop circumstance too.