Techlusion installation report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmax

Reaction score
Well heres the short of it. This thing works as advertised. If you have been considering one go buy it.

Heres the long version.

I couldnt decide between this and a PC for a long time, I was basically sold on going the PC route because of its popularity when I saw the techlusions on ebay for $125 and the cheapskate/rebel in me took over and hit the buy it now.

Techlusion claims its "load sensing technology" gives it the ability to vary the fuel mixture in different gears whereas other solutions cant. The upside with the PC however is that you can screw around with the timing as well as the fuel mix, with the techlusion the factory timing curve is retained. Do I care? Is one better? Can pigs really fly? Heck if I know thats one of those internet arguments you can never win. I know the techlusion 100% fixed all the driveability problems I have bitched about ands so its just fine with me.

Heres a link to techlusions website if you want to read about it. https://techlusion.com/

Although it is advertised as plug and play, you do have to T into 5 factory wires with the little clip on connectors supplied. So as advertised you do not have to cut up your factory harness, but I had expected a plug that didnt exist. A little iffy on the advertising honesty there.

The hookup was pretty easy with the exception of making sure I had the right 4 injector wires to T into. They are supposed to be Grn/blk org/blk red/blk blu/blk. And they are. The problem is there are two harnesses under the left cover with those exact 4 color wires in them. If you install a techlusion for a tip you should know that it is the larger connector with the larger diameter wires. Dont ask me how I know. :dribble:

The adjustments were fast and easy once I had it installed, no computer or fancy downloading required. You could hear the motor smooth out as you dialed it in. Probably took a total of 2 minutes to adjust all the dials. Being an avocate of the KISS principle I like that part.

The results are this thing couldnt run any more perfect. Smooth, no herky jerky throttle, no bucking or surging. Its much improved around town. Being an A model it also really helped smooth the takeoff. After a short run the avg mpg was working its way up instead of down. That was a bit of a surprise. So far there is no downside to this unit that I can find. IMHO money well spent, probably the best mod per $$$ I have done so far.

Roy

$125 is a steal, but I still can't see saving $150 (over PCIII) for:

1. Something that is not plug and play and can't be removed easily.

2. Has limited adjustment.

3. Cannot be programmed to a zero map or changed easily to accommodate new slip-ons or air filter

4. Has no no record on this forum or with this bike in general.

This is my opinion only, of course. You may end up proving at least #4 wrong and blazing a new trail!

-BD

$125 is a steal, but I still can't see saving $150 (over PCIII) for:
1. Something that is not plug and play and can't be removed easily.

2. Has limited adjustment.

3. Cannot be programmed to a zero map or changed easily to accommodate new slip-ons or air filter

4. Has no no record on this forum or with this bike in general.

This is my opinion only, of course. You may end up proving at least #4 wrong and blazing a new trail!

-BD
I am going to have to debate some of that. And I hate internet debates. :blink:

# 1 is wrong. You can just take it back out. It would probably take 1/2 an hour. It only took about 45 min to put it all in. You wouldnt even have to remove the T connectors if you didnt want to. Just unplug it.

I guess #2 is not wrong, but I think in a practical sense on an FJR it may be mute. It depends on what you mean by limited. It is limited in the fact it only adjusts the fuel mixture and not the timing table. And I guess it is limited in the fact that you cant make it leaner but I dont know why you would ever want to do that. It sure looks like you can do whatever you want with the fuel curve as far as richening it up goes though. And in some ways it is more flexible as you could easily adjust it on the road if you found yourself suddenly going through a severe temperature or altitude change that was affecting the running. You cant do that with a PC. I say it is mute in a practical sense because I just dont see a lot of guys with FJRs doing turbos, superchargers, nitrous, big bore kits, or other types of things that would require drastic remapping.

#3 Is definitely wrong it can easily be adjusted to accomodate those things. Matter of fact thats what it is designed for. To go back to a zero map you just set all the dials to 1 o clock.

Well I cant argue with #4. Or maybe I can as I origonally found out about this from a guy with an FJR that has had it on there for several years and was very pleased with it.

I am surely not saying it is a better or more flexible solution than a PC. I would think for the serious tuner there is more control over the intricacies of the fuel map on a PC. But what I am saying is that for the average guy who wants to get rid of the FI annoyances or compensate for add ons this is an easier solution to wrap your mind around. Just turn the dials right for richer and left for leaner. It sure seems easier to me and my raised on carbs mind. And it definitely gets the job done. :D

Roy

Which model did you get?
FI-2024ST or FI-1020
I used the 1020.

Roy
According to the website, the 1020 is a "Tap On" and cheaper, the Plug & Play is # 2024ST and around $60 more.

Also, just curious, did they have you disconnect the O2 sensor?
I didnt know there was a different model. I guess thats what I get for being a cheapskate. :unsure:

Yes they do have you disconnect the 02 sensor.

Roy

No debates by me - I'm down with more options.

BTW, the PCIII does not adjust timing on the FJR, only the fuel delivery.

Again, $125 is a good deal to fix the lean delivery problem of the FJR. So now, there is another option in the range of 3: Barbarian, Techlusion, PCIII. It's all good.

I only meant that the techlusion is limited in the sense that you can't adjust the settings with very fine accuracy. But you are right, for most purposes, it is not needed.

-BD

No debates by me - I'm down with more options.
BTW, the PCIII does not adjust timing on the FJR, only the fuel delivery.

Again, $125 is a good deal to fix the lean delivery problem of the FJR. So now, there is another option in the range of 3: Barbarian, Techlusion, PCIII. It's all good.

I only meant that the techlusion is limited in the sense that you can't adjust the settings with very fine accuracy. But you are right, for most purposes, it is not needed.

-BD
I installed a REVTECH DFO a.k.a. Techlusion 1020 on my FJR. I have a 2006 with fully Muzzy exhaust and K&N air filter. I bought the DFO on my dealer service tech's recommendation since he knew I often work on my own bikes. I've installed jet kits and removed the ega plugs to dial carbs in myself before and that was pretty easy. Anyway, the DFO works well and basically lets you dial it in by simply reving the motor and turning the dials until it smooths out (tune by ear so to speak.) For another $289 you can buy a air/fuel guage for the dash to continuously monitor fuel ratio which would allow you to dial the thing in exactly for current rinding/operating conditions. I was just trying to get the bike to run right as I bought the bike used a few weeks ago with the Muzzy on it and ran very lean. After the install and running through a tank of gas, the computer read 44 mpg which I think is normal. The hardest part of the install was getting the damn O2 sensor disconnected. A very big thanks to the guy who wrote how to get that connector apart (just the one big locking tab holds it together.) I put the DFO box whetre the U-lock would go under the passenger seat for easy access and adjustment. Dave