techmount for 2730

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I've searched and am confused by the posts. Do I need to buy a special base plate to mount my 2730 to the standard Techmount stem mount system? I've ordered the GPS and the motorcycle setup from James @ AutoNav. TIA Ian, Iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
The tourtech mount plates bolts up to the stemstand plate. The stemstand should come with a compatible plate, not just the nut and stem.
True, but needs "with some modification to the stemstand plate." The touratech gps holder is not an exact match to the stemstand baseplate. A couple simple mods are required.

Now, Ian, you weren't completely clear, but it sounds to me like you purchased the Garmin motorcycle mount from James along with your GPS. If that's the case, forget all the above discussion on the touratech mount/gps holder.

I am not as familiar with that mounting system as I am not using it, but I believe most have mounted the Garmin GPS holder to an additional baseplate that is rubber isolated from the stemstand plate. There is a thread somewhere around here that details most of the info with piccies.

Edit: Found it. Here are a couple threads that should answer your questions:

GPS Mounting Thread #1

#2 - NO! Not that kind of #2!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the 2730 and the motorcycle mount kit from AutoNav and the Techmount stem mount assembly. Both work very well, most folks think the set-up is factory.

You need to buy the Techmount #60991 accessory top plate--it is drilled with the 4 hole AMPS pattern that matches the Garmin holder in the motorcycle accessory kit. It also comes with rubber compression nuts for some isolation, but you will have to buy a couple of longer 6/32 screws because two of the ones supplied aren't long enough.