TechWest BBQ, FJR Refugees, Tire Plugging, and HIDs From Hell!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a little write-up with pictures of TechWest '07 on my blog.

One teaser photo of various halogen, HID, and kelvin temperatures.

Left is my motorcycle that has 6000K low beam HIDs and Hella FF200 HID high beams in the 4300K range.

Middle is Skooter's bike with 4300K low beam HIDs and Phillips "PHIDs".

Right is Skyway's Sylvania Silver Stars upgraded halogen low-beam bulbs with Soltek HIDs.

Any question who King Lumen is?

MW182754b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report on last weekend Matt. Was it 300K+ in total miles for the FJR's parked in the garage? IIRC the middle bike in the above photo belongs to Iron Maiden and not the Skoot.

It was great to see some familiar faces and I also got to put even more faces to names of fellow forum members. Thanks again for putting us up at your place, and if you're ever in need of a bed, and a warm meal in Northern CA, just let me know. ;) Heck, I'll even try to top the prickly pear margaritas you were home brewing.

Unfortunately Skooter and I had a little run in with some flashing lights on the way home. :( I'll fill you in with the details later, in which I almost saw a jail cell for 2 days. :( :( Yes there are some decent cops out there, but this time around I got a taste of the dark side of law enforcement. :glare: This encounter really opened my eyes to the probability that lots of people are the wrong of steel bars at the moment in the US of A.

Despite this end to the road trip, I still had a great time, and now it's back to the land of the living.

Right is Skyway's Sylvania Silver Stars upgraded halogen low-beam bulbs with Soltek HIDs.
Any question who King Lumen is?
That picture seems kinda subdued and, to me, doesn't really do the Solteks proud. In the one below, taken from about 90 yards out, they seem almost Close-Encounters bright!

You want some of these. Word.

IMG_1985.jpg

Ian, don't make us wait too long on the details of that unscheduled roadside stop....

That picture seems kinda subdued and, to me, doesn't really do the Solteks proud. In the one below, taken from about 90 yards out, they seem almost Close-Encounters bright!
I played with the levels a bit to show what I thought was most consistent with my perspective. I could shift it to turn the screen almost entirely white, but wanted to show the relative performance and slight color differences.

To add to the conversation we took the bikes out a second night to a place with a bit of a hill rise. There is absolutely no question that Solteks throw out the most lumens, but also throw a chunk of that light WAY farther down the road.....like 1/4 mile. Some may call it a hotspot with a narrow cone. Alignment is key on these and getting used to something being spotted early, but then darker possibly, and then lighter again as they come in range of the low beams.

The FF200s did a very good job at filling up a larger space with consistent illumination, were very warm looking, but just didn't throw a cone nearly as far. Stuff stayed lit through the range fairly consistently.

Well, the PHIDs.....they were good shorter, but Skooter's are also a bit suspect with as many times as his FJR has layed down on the ground. We'll leave it as a Flipper issue and not represenative of the breed. ;)

Latest posts