Tent for you AND the FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the BMWMOA national rally at Redmond OR last month and a vendor was selling them. I camped next to one and the GS owner like it. If the bike isn't inside, that area can be used as a patio shade area. I saw several others.

PRetty nifty. Pricey though :/
About 10 million years since I've been camping and bought gear....is $400 "pricey"??
Nope, you can get into a 200-600 range or more, for 2 person tents if you want to depending on your criteria.

I just bought all new camping gear and bought this one. My Tent

It is outstanding and I use it for me and my gear. One man tents are crazy small to bike camp with as no place to get your gear in. This tent weighs less then 5 pounds!

You want sticker shock go looking for a Down bag. I had not bought one in 20 years. I bought a median price and was into the low 300.00 range. A bit of that is I buy Long size to shove clothes into the bottom to warm them :)

I think it's a 2 person so one of you can call 911 when the FJR falls over in the middle of the night and kills the other one. :rolleyes:

I'm not into spending anything over 1 bill on a tent. Infact most times on the motorcycle you are lucky to find me with a tent at all. Sleeping pad, bivy sack, and a good sleeping bag and I'm good to go under the stars. If it rains the bivy is waterproof. I do sometimes pack a Henessey Hammock with me which you can setup as a ground shelter if you want.

Intersting concept. But I like freestanding tents. This requires all kinds of guy lines, meaning lots of things to trip opn in the middle of the night. I know me, I'd trip on the suckers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intersting concept. But I like freestanding tents. This requires all kinds of guy lines, meaning lots of things to trip opn in the middle of the night. I know me, I'd trip on the suckers.
The next time it rains and you don't have those guylines out you are gonna be hating it my friend. You will be a one wet dude up their in rainy land.

The next time it rains and you don't have those guylines out you are gonna be hating it my friend. You will be a one wet dude up their in rainy land.

Guy lines are for wind not rain. If it's so windy with my 300+ pounds of weight and gear that gets blow around, I'm finding a motel. :dribble:

I've been in a frog strangler or two and stayed dry -- never used guy lines. Maybe I'm just lucky but just staking the tent down and throwing gear in it has worked well.

Guy lines are for wind not rain. If it's so windy with my 300+ pounds of weight and gear that gets blow around, I'm finding a motel. :dribble:

I've been in a frog strangler or two and stayed dry -- never used guy lines. Maybe I'm just lucky but just staking the tent down and throwing gear in it has worked well.
The guylines keep the fly off the tent body so the water does not wick through. They also keep a gap for air to circulate.

The guylines keep the fly off the tent body so the water does not wick through. They also keep a gap for air to circulate.
Johnnie, you need to buy cheaper tents man. :D

Never had a problem, even camping on the Olympic Peninsula. Now the zippers are a different matter entirely...

I'm not into spending anything over 1 bill on a tent. Infact most times on the motorcycle you are lucky to find me with a tent at all. Sleeping pad, bivy sack, and a good sleeping bag and I'm good to go under the stars. If it rains the bivy is waterproof. I do sometimes pack a Henessey Hammock with me which you can setup as a ground shelter if you want.
I tend to agree, BUT, I don't camp all that much - ~1-2 times a yr.

Last yr I bought a 1 person bivy tent from Cabelas "bargain cave" for ~$30 iirc. I like to cover the bike but have a Dowco cover for that.

Now, if I motorcycle camped alot, I would consider buying something like this tent or a better tent in general. I know when I was up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the campsites I used you couldn't get the bike to them. The tent had to be on a designated pad as did the bike/vehicle.

This tent is pretty cool tho IMO but $400 buys more needed farkles than for my needs...