The 12V outlet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron47

Reaction score
Did I miss something or is the 12V only usable with the little door open? I keep thinking there must be a removable "slot" or something to allow the wiring to my appliances to exit the compartment. ??

Got the G2 and madco installed today. Wow, what a difference in throttle personality!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the 12v socket for awhile to run Roady XM radio...the power cords are fairly thin on most electronic stuff, and the lid itself does not seal up like a safe...so...

I just shut the door over the cord and never had any problems.

I guess if you plan on using something that you will be constantly unpluging or opening the door alot, there is some risk of causing wear to the cord, but the thing just does not seem to seal tight enough in the first place for this to be of much concern.

As noted above, there is a "hole" in the box you can feed and route a wire through. I just would think that if you plan on having something wired up for the long term, you'd wire diretly to the battery....

KM

My recommendation, unplug the connectors from that stupid plug and use the circuit to power up-front farkles. It's a good 2-amp circuit with its own fuse etc., so no need to waste it. Just use the circuit to feed a different connector in a more practical location.

QUOTE (ron47 @ Monday, 18 February 2008) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I miss something or is the 12V only usable with the little door open? I keep thinking there must be a removable "slot" or something to allow the wiring to my appliances to exit the compartment. ??

Got the G2 and madco installed today. Wow, what a difference in throttle personality!

I used the socket for my GPS setup. There is a bung in the bottom rear of the glovebox. This has a drain tube in it, you could run a thin wire through this. I chose to make another hole and a cut to the edge (I didn't want to remake the connector on the end of the wire). You can just make it out in this picture (the bung is a little blurred, sorry).

1_DSCF5278.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh, I should have gotten a light instead of just squinting over my bifocals. Thanks for the pointers.