The AVCC black hole

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm amazed how many people wrestle with the Audiovox. So much mental energy put into installing these things and keeping them operating properly.

If you didn't have an Audiovox what would you do with your time?

I installed mine in March '04 and it's worked fine ever since. Maybe I've been lucky. My soup can vacuum canister is getting a bit rusty though.

In June '04 I added a 'cancel' feature similar to what's in most cars. A nice feature which I use all the time. That should have been included with the Audiovox controls.

I'm amazed how many people wrestle with the Audiovox. So much mental energy put into installing these things and keeping them operating properly.

I installed mine in March '04 and it's worked fine ever since. Maybe I've been lucky. My soup can vacuum canister is getting a bit rusty though.

In June '04 I added a 'cancel' feature similar to what's in most cars. A nice feature which I use all the time. That should have been included with the Audiovox controls.

What is the wiring for the cancel button? 12V or Ground?

So what does "cancel" do that tapping the brake or grabbing the clutch doesn't do? And as already asked, how is it wired?

My AVCC is going on 2.5 years of nearly daily use, no troubles except early on, the taps I used corroded. I replaced with shrink-wrapped soldered connections and it's been 100% since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent just about all the mental energy that I am going to on mine. When I am done with the overtime I am doing right now the coolant pipe is coming out and by by AVCC.

So what does "cancel" do that tapping the brake or grabbing the clutch doesn't do?
Ummm... I think it's more what it doesn't do... like slow the bike or disengage power. :unsure:

And as already asked, how is it wired?
I'd like to know how CM did it as well. Could just tie a momentary switch to the brake light but that isn't very elegant. I know, logically, how to implement this, I just haven't given much thought to doing it in reality.

The cancel feature doesn't do anything that the brake switches or clutch disengagement won't do, except it doesn't interrupt the flow of power. I can make a seamless transition without upsetting the drivetrain.

I use cancel anytime I want to disengage the AVCC in an orderly, non-disruptive manner which is just about all the time. I hold the throttle steady just before I disengage and there's no upset in power delivery when I cut the AVCC.

I paralleled a relay with the horns for the cancel feature. I momentarily tap the horn button (a few milliseconds) and latch in the relay. The relay is wired into the brake input circuit of the AVCC.

Most couldn't use my circuit design because I use the windshield rocker switch to control the AVCC. Using two relays I use the windshield control switch in a dual role -- normal windshield control and also AVCC control.

I guess I don't see the point of 'cancel.' I can tap the rear brake and get the same effect. Bike doesn't shift on the suspension because nearly no braking force is applied, if any at all, and holding the throttle grip means it doesn't cut gas. Smooth transition from autopilot to manual control.

Only thing I can think of is you don't want to flash the brake lights when the RD goes off. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll go out on a limb here and say this is in response to my recent thread about clarifying the wire colors. I "hate" to put all the mental energy into this install, but the goal is to also have a trouble free relationship with it going forward.

The install looks daunting from the outside going in, and doing the research, how it's done, where everything is placed, and from the responses - how the wiring/power feeds are seems to be at least slightly different depending on who's done it and their opinion of what works best.

Some folks put the servo under the seat, some under the tank; some use a vac canister, some don't, some use no check vac check valve, some use one, some use one at each cylinder; some use the stock control pad, some use just a regular switch; some use an on/off, some don't, and now the discussion about the cancel feature which I hadn't seen before this in any discussion, but for sure I could have missed it.

I do like using the windshield control in "dual mode" for both windshield and AVCC; I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully I'll button this up and no more thought will be put into it except to just ride and use the feature that Yamaha should have offered in the first place!

IMO, we ought to have a master thread on this similar to the darkside tire debate. It's a popular addition to our bikes and to find info you have to dig and copy multiple threads that differ in some details here and there, thus the mental energy...