The definitive skinny of side case lids

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All:

I searched the web and the forums and have come up with a few different options as it relates to getting or fixing a damaged side case lid.

I have damage to my right lid on my 2006 Cobalt Blue FJR1300A US Model. The fiche appears to have only the whole bag for $633 or the "bottom" which I assume is the inner black portion without the lid. It does not have the lid sold separately.

My research has shown that:

1. Gerauld may be able to fix mine and paint.

2. Lids sold separately for some years but not all - my Cobalt Blue 06 is not one of those.

3. I can drill out the rivets and take to body shop and have repaired then re-rivet or screw them back together.

Ideally I would like to just replace the lid and be done with it. I have not seen any Cobalt Blue on ebay.

Any advise other than buying a new case and I know I can do better than the $633 MSRP.

Thanks,

Look at the thread where lids have come off and were reattached.... you may want to take your lid off, get it painted, then reattach..... just an option.

In my experience, lids almost never come up on eBay or anywhere else that aren't already damaged so finding a matching year/color replacement that way is pretty futile. I have sent two lids to Garauld and I am perfectly happy with the results. Meaning "like new".

The removal of the lids from the black bag part is rather easy. Some riders push out the rivet pins after prying back the little caps on the hinges. Others drill off the rivet heads that attach the lid to the hinge.

Drilling out, then replacing the rivets is straight forward. But for a good paint job Garauld is the guy. Just mail him the lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great replies. I was hoping there were new lids available but I guess not. dcarver, I like the way you think but my wife...not so much :) Ok my wife does not like the way you think I did not mean I don't like my wife.
smile.png