The Dreaded TPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastUkFudger

Reaction score
Question for all..... Especially Ionbeam.

I have had my TPS replaced under the recall by my local dealer, bike now runs worse than it did before! dry.gif

I have been into the TPS Diag screen as suggested to check the readings and mine are 15-99.

Bike has inconsistent idle when warm, and sounds horrible when coming of first part of cold.

I have been back to dealer to ask him to check it out and all he says is "it's fine"!!! mad.gif

Any advice / help would be gratefully recieved

Check synch-can contribute to unstable idle, if using a Power Commander, re-establish throttle position via the PC setup screen. 15 is at the bottom end of TPS idle settings, 16 might be better, but only if you are getting hesitations off idle etc.

EastUkFudger, I replied to your question in the first thread you posted it in, see the reply by clicking here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for all..... Especially Ionbeam.I have had my TPS replaced under the recall by my local dealer, bike now runs worse than it did before! dry.gif

I have been into the TPS Diag screen as suggested to check the readings and mine are 15-99.

Bike has inconsistent idle when warm, and sounds horrible when coming of first part of cold.

I have been back to dealer to ask him to check it out and all he says is "it's fine"!!! mad.gif

Any advice / help would be gratefully recieved
My bike is in the dealer right now for exactly the same reason. It's the 2nd trip there for this problem, too. They claimed that it was fixed the first time... I claimed that it wasn't. To aggravate the dealer just a tad more, when I pulled into the dealer's lot for the 2nd go-around an '05 was parked 20 feet away from me & was having identical issues. Both had the TPS replaced under recall & both idle erratically. Feels almost like dead spot off of start. Feels like it's going to stall when the erratic idle hits the lowest part of the erratic RPM's, right?

I have the same issue. I think that the service manager has decided that there is a problem w/ these TPS's & might replace w/ new ones. I'll let you know what happens.

Heidi

Not to be a thread horror, but I was told somewhere here that the TPS recall will also include TBS.

My stealer said it does not.

Who is correct? and should it be done at the time of the TPS?

Personally, unless your FJR is displaying the kind of issues that prompted Yamaha to issue this recall, I would NOT have the TPS swapped out.

I have seen a LOT of problems arise after the TPS swap-out was performed. Most all of these problems are exactly like the ones described in this thread.

I have the TPS Recall Notice for my 2003 deer-strike bike..... and have no intentions whatsoever of having it done, as the fueling on this bike is quite excellent across the entire throttle range.

Given the results of many who have had the TPS recall done... I am pretty sure I don't want to "fix" something that does not appear to be broke at all.... :glare:

I'd agree if it wasn't too late.

Personally, unless your FJR is displaying the kind of issues that prompted Yamaha to issue this recall, I would NOT have the TPS swapped out.
I have seen a LOT of problems arise after the TPS swap-out was performed. Most all of these problems are exactly like the ones described in this thread.

I have the Recall Notice for my 2003 deer-strike bike..... and have no intentions whatsoever of having it done, as the fueling on this bike is quite excellent across the entire throttle range.

Given the results of many who have had the TPS recall done... I am pretty sure I don't want to "fix" something that does not appear to be broke at all.... :glare:
Well that certainly makes me feel better about my decision not to have it done. Besides, you know that story where the emperor touches anything and it turns to gold? My dealer is just like that, except instead of gold its poo.

I was intending to install Iridium plugs and do a TBS on my 04 with has a little over 40000Km on the odometer. I had the dealer give me my replacement TPS unit to install myself, with the understanding I could bring it back to have the TPS unit replaced if I had trouble removing the lower Tamper Proof Torx Screw. I did manage to get it out, and replaced the TPS using the diAG screen to adjust it. I locked it down at a low reading of 16 and a high of 99.

I installed the Iridium Plugs, did the TBS, buttoned it up and took it for a test run. I was impressed. It idled smoothly, accelerated without any hesitation, and displayed no surging at any speed. I didn't think there was much wrong with how the bike performed before I did the work, but the improvement in performance was very obvious.

I was intending to install Iridium plugs and do a TBS on my 04 with has a little over 40000Km on the odometer. I had the dealer give me my replacement TPS unit to install myself, with the understanding I could bring it back to have the TPS unit replaced if I had trouble removing the lower Tamper Proof Torx Screw. I did manage to get it out, and replaced the TPS using the diAG screen to adjust it. I locked it down at a low reading of 16 and a high of 99.
I installed the Iridium Plugs, did the TBS, buttoned it up and took it for a test run. I was impressed. It idled smoothly, accelerated without any hesitation, and displayed no surging at any speed. I didn't think there was much wrong with how the bike performed before I did the work, but the improvement in performance was very obvious.

diAg screen? Are you talking about the LCD screen on the bike. I assume this procedure is in the Service Manual. I had my TPS replaced, and it seems ok. The only difference is a slight cut out before its warmed up. When taking off cold it kind of surges. No big deal, but maybe I will check the TPS setting.

Mine was running fine when I picked up the new TPS from my dealer. To make sure it stayed running fine after replacement, I recorded the diagnostic screen numbers and resistance values of the stock TPS at closed and wide open throttle and spent a lot of time getting those same numbers when the new TPS was installed. Sure enough, the bike ran the same after the install. Some techs might consider that a tad anal, but after 33 years of working on cars on motorcycles I've found a careful analysis of the vehicle before ripping things out reduces problems and cuts down on troubleshooting if complications arise.

diAg screen? Are you talking about the LCD screen on the bike. I assume this procedure is in the Service Manual.
Yes, the diAG function is displayed on the LCD screen (diAG is the way the LCD displays DIAG(nostic)). The Factory Service Manual (FSM in this Forum) has the procedure with all the codes and functions that it controls/reads. There is also a How-To in the Bin-O-Facts.

I have an '05. TPS letter came to me after a disasterous quick trip from Santa Barbara to Colorado and back. Stalled 3 times causing me to tip, go to the doctor for a f'd up knee, then a month later I get the letter saying "could stall/do not ride your bike/death destruction injury".

I was pretty bummed and not sure what was happening, until the letter came and explained it all away. Yamaha replaced all my broken plastic too after some back and forth.

Do you guys know if elevation plays a handle in this? Because I never had any problem with the bike at sea level, but the thing kept stalling (when just taking off from stops, just as your leaning into it at low RPM - thus the constant falling on my face).

My TPS was replaced but I haven't been up to any elevation since to speak of. It's been fine, but however after reading this thread I'm starting to worry - I'm heading for Colorado/Canadian Rockies & Hyder Alaska in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to be extra careful - but wondering if historically for others this has been more of a problem at higher altitudes (it would make sense to my mind - less air, not compensating for thus, and as such - problems stalling).

I certainly hope the "fix" I aparently have is going to work out OK. This year, I have helmet cams, video cams, radar detectors, audio equipment, GPS, SLR cameras - a ton of expensive stuff on my bike that would be a bummer to crash with!

<crossing fingers>

The Throttle Position Sensor only tells the ECU how much you have twisted the throttle. The ECU reads the TPS voltage then calculates the % that the throttle plates are open and calculates the rate of throttle change. That's it, the TPS produces a simple DC voltage and the ECU does the work. When you look at diAG:01 and see the value 17 at idle, the ECU knows that the throttle plates are 17% open (they need to be open somewhat for idle). When you twist the throttle all the way open, the ECU will display a value between 97 to 100 indicating the throttle is 97% to 100% open. The ECU watches the TPS voltage to determine the rate of throttle change.

The ECU quickly samples the TPS DC voltage, then reads all the other sensors & switches, then combines all the information which is used to look up the fuel injection shot and spark timing. The TPS only supplies one simple, tiny amount of the information. When the TPS glitches, it always tells the ECU you are at idle when in fact the throttle plates may be 50% open. The ECU then sets the FI shot for idle which will be *way* too lean for the actual throttle plate position.

A bad TPS does cause poor running and stalling when the resistor in the TPS fails to give correct information about the actual throttle position. The TPS output is independent of altitude, temperature, battery voltage, grade of gas, amount of sun shine and the condition of your tires :)

If your bike was susceptible to drivability issues at altitude, the TPS may have made it worse with it's erroneous throttle position readings. Unfortunately, the drivability issue will still be there after the TPS was changed.

Heard from dealer about my TPS today. They are claiming that the bike runs as smooth as butta' now. The settings were slightly off. Uh, I forgot to ask about the week before... weren't the settings off then, too??? back when they claimed it was wonderful?

Of course I cannot agree until I put my own ear to it.

I am kinda with Dale on this one. I have got my recall notice but Don't think I need to change it because I believe it is running fine.

As Skooter G told me once... Why replace something when it is working fine. In this case I have to agree with him too!

I have thought about picking up the part from the dealer just to have it.... in case I have problems.

Plus I don't really ride my bike very much....

I held off on doing this recall and for the same reasons as Dale and others mentioned above, but I had a couple of strange low speed stalls on our recent "WFO and other parts" tour which I suspect were the TPS just starting to go south (couldn't have been rider error...)

Dealer did the TPS and the trunk recall today, and I'm happy so far, but obviously no miles accumulated yet. When I picked it up I made the mechanic run through the DIAG screen with me - values are 16 and 99 - more so that I knew he knew how it should be set up!

My upcoming trip to CFR in a few weeks will let me know if there are going to be any issues.