The First Long Haul

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyeller

Reaction score
Just took my first long distance haul on my '03 (The Gray Cat Shaft). Several of us did the Wa. coast - down eastbound along the Gorge - up through Ellensburg and the North Cascades #20 - then back to Vancouver, BC. I did 2000km (1250mi) in the 3 days and found her to be a very easy ride.

On the upside - I could sit in the saddle for more prolonged periods (Came off a '03 ZX6R Street fighter - A very tough saddle to sit on for a long time). The overall ride position was comfy although I still want to lower the bars a little (I notice there are plenty of bar-riser kits - But I am of average size, not a 6-footer)

Does anyone know of a lowering kit for the bars?

I will be adding a throttle lock in the future. And the heat exchange mods I have done (see other posts) had no issues whil on the road. I also appreciated the heated grips when we tried to do Mt. St. Helen's.

I have from others that the front suspension on the '03's is soft. Oh contrare - I find the front fine (I am 165lb without gear), it is the rear I have issues with. Specially when loaded with 35lbs of stuff in the bags. She did fine bagless, but on a long trip how often does that happen.

All I can say is I am very happy with her. A sweet ride all round. What took me so long I don't know.

Thanks for the ride report. I put a little over 230 miles on mine Saturday up in the North Georgia mountains. Stock seat made my buttocks a little sore, but not too bad. I think I will try sheepskin before replacing altogether. It was about 88 out and no heat issues. Just great fun.