The minority windshields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbersidedown

Reaction score
I have notice that there is probably and equal number of windshield related threads to active members on this board, leading logically to the commonly found conclusion that "to each his own" is the answer more often than not.

My real question hear is with the dozens of posts on CalSci, CeeBailey's, VStream, Rifle, and Yamaha upgrades as well as spacers and tuning blocks. With all of these windshield posts there are very few regarding the Givi shield and almost none regarding the Ermax. Was there some discovery way back when that these shields are inferior or not effective?

I was looking for the least expensive route to achieving a bit smoother air flow without installing the proverbial "barn door" and was considering either experimenting with some spacers, or CalSci style vents on screen with a flip or just a flip without the vents. Unfortunately experimenting is expensive with most of these screens touting price tags of 180+. I came across the Ermax (seen here) and was intrigued because it is just over $100, is about 2" taller and has a flip at the top, although it appears slightly less aggressive and narrower than the CB flip.

So naturally, in search of more info, I come to the fountain of knowledge and press the magical "search" button. Lo and behold 2 posts show up and neither is related to the shield itself, but merely mentions of it. So I come to you now asking, "Please, enlighten me" If it turns out that the screen is not cheap crap I may buy one and not feel to badly chopping it up and experimenting on it

I'm still a nooby here, but my opinion...

I got a +4 CeeBailey screen with my bike. I'm 1.80m tall, so the screen is too high for me. When in the down position, I still look through the screen. And that is annoying! It catches me excactly where the screen makes a tilt to guide the wind higher. With my helmet visor down it gives me double vision

When I lift the screen higher to get rid of the double vision, it makes a vacuum behind me and it feels as if someone is leaning against me from the back all the time, yet I don't have pillion!!

I went back to the std screen, works better for me.

Long story short, the screen is too long for my height. Don't make the same mistake.

Don't know about the ermax, I got a new givi last month for $ 84 delivered. Works for me 2 inches higher and a very slight flip, wider too as it does not cut in like the stocker. Very thick and the price was right!