The New MV Motorrad Handlebar Adapter Plate for the 14ES Model is Available!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who have installed a MV riser plate, if you need access to re-torque the steering head bearings (or any service of the steering head bearings) would it be necessary to remove the handlebars from the plate, and then the MV riser plate from the top triple clamp, or can the handlebars/riser plate be removed as one unit?

I believe that you can remove it as one unit,but i don't know if it is easy to do any work there with all this thing over there...
rolleyes.gif

It is about half an hour job there to install it.I can't see the reason to remove it as one unit if you need to do any work there in the bearings..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through the exercise of accessing the steering stem nut and adjustment nuts. I was able to remove the MV plate with the handlebars attached but couldn't move them out of the way far enough to remove the top bracket of the steering stem.

Removing the handlebars attached to the MV bracket as an assembly allows you access to remove the stem nut without a problem but when you try to remove the top plate of the steering stem (which is attached to the ignition switch, everything needs to move forward because all cables and wires come from the front. The fairing is in the way.

I ended up setting the MV plate (with bars attached) back into position and bolting it back on so that I could now loosen the handlebar bolts. Then remove everything separately. With both handlebars dangling separately you can set them to either side and it is much easier to access the top plate of the steering stem.

Bill Hamilton

Thanks Unicycle52,

Not that it would be necessary to access the top plate and/ steering head all too often, was just curious.

Thinking it best prior to installing the riser to go through the process of checking the steering head bearing torque-still seems new FJR's need this done.