The Pace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. This is one of the things that worried me about going to an event like this. I usually ride with the same group of people and ride at their pace (I lead most of the time). I do not want to ride over my head and don't want my gonads to determine my skill level. I need to enjoy the ride (and countryside) and not leave any tupperware in NC. See you all in a couple of weeks

Excellent. This is one of the things that worried me about going to an event like this. I usually ride with the same group of people and ride at their pace (I lead most of the time). I do not want to ride over my head and don't want my gonads to determine my skill level. I need to enjoy the ride (and countryside) and not leave any tupperware in NC. See you all in a couple of weeks
This is precisely why I'm recommending Shady Valley for the Friday ride. You can test out groups and compatibility there for short periods of time before commiting to day-long rides on saturday and sunday.

This is precisely why I'm recommending Shady Valley for the Friday ride. You can test out groups and compatibility there for short periods of time before commiting to day-long rides on saturday and sunday.
My son and I won't be arriving at EOM until sometime late morning. We will try to hookup with a group on the road after the maps are published.

I enjoy going slow... well not real slow but the very back of the pack is fine by me. I will even say when I finally catch up at a stop. If I don't like the pace. Carry on with out me. I like to stop and smell some flowers sometimes! Photo ops!

I ride for two days to get here I want to look around a bit. Take in the sights. Like someone said " don't want to leave some tuperware there".

I have lead rides and I have been in the middle of a pack that haven't seen the lead bike nor have I seen the back end of the pack. And I have been the sweep.

I enjoy going slow... well not real slow but the very back of the pack is fine by me. I will even say when I finally catch up at a stop. If I don't like the pace. Carry on with out me. I like to stop and smell some flowers sometimes! Photo ops!I ride for two days to get here I want to look around a bit. Take in the sights. Like someone said " don't want to leave some tuperware there".

I have lead rides and I have been in the middle of a pack that haven't seen the lead bike nor have I seen the back end of the pack. And I have been the sweep.
We should be seeing alot of eah other...

My son and I won't be arriving at EOM until sometime late morning. We will try to hookup with a group on the road after the maps are published.
Just make your way to the Shady Valley country store, and wait around. Packs will be in and out of that placep all day.

Just make your way to the Shady Valley country store, and wait around. Packs will be in and out of that placep all day.
Ahhh...where the heck is Shady Valley? :p
https://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Shady+Valley,+TN

Ride at your own pace.

Give everybody a map of route and planned stops. Food , gas ,etc. 80 bikes at one resturant is not a good idea. Try to find a few different places to eat.

Ride in smaller groups at a timed interval, maybe 5 minutes apart. Fighter pilots GO 1st.

Last group ride I was on there was a serious accident, no fun.

Can't wait to ride THE SMOKIES. See you there.

Ride at your own pace.
Give everybody a map of route and planned stops. Food , gas ,etc. 80 bikes at one resturant is not a good idea. Try to find a few different places to eat.

Ride in smaller groups at a timed interval, maybe 5 minutes apart. Fighter pilots GO 1st.

Last group ride I was on there was a serious accident, no fun.

Can't wait to ride THE SMOKIES. See you there.
Good advice mech! Appalachia, here we come!!!!!!!

It'd be silly not to ride your own ride at any time... & especially in the mountains. Please be careful. This note goes out to everyone... but I especially want to impress riding your own ride to the flatlanders because the folks that ride in the mountains on a fairly regular basis should know already. It's really easy to get in over your head in the mountains so take it slow in & accelerate out, have a good time & go home w/ all your parts is parts intact.

On another note:

CANNOT WAIT! NEW FOLKS, FAMILIAR FOLKS & MOUNTAINS = FUN!!!

See you when it's time to canyon carve!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking a lot of us will be fairly compatible.

Yep...no lashings for not keeping up. Getting back the lodge in two pieces (bike, you) is the only real concern one should have. Leave the ego at home. Know where you're going and don't worry about the pack. Be your own dog...you are the pack!!!