The Perfect FJR...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Macdonald

Reaction score
I'm loving my 04 FJR, and have always said to my riding bud's that this would be the all-time best all around bike if it just had a taller gearing - especially 5th gear.

How many of you out there have kept lifting up on the shift lever with the left foot only to realize that that's it. It's nice to be 'on the cam' when doing highway speeds etc., but... This bike has plenty of grunt to handle taller gears!

Reading that article in the most recent issue of Rider Magazine has got me very excited. The sentence about the taller gearing for the 06' FJR has me thinking that I can have that done to my ride. What do you think? The proceedure could be a bit pricey perhaps, but it would be awesome!

The article stated that the earlier FJR's ran at 3500+ at 60 mph., but I find my bike tach indicating just below 4000.

I'd love to hear what you all think about this...Hommie

Last edited by a moderator:
What some have done is change the pumpkin. The rear end from a Royal Star Venture has a slightly different final ratio and will drop the RPMs.

Why would you want to change? The performance level with the current gearing means roll ons from about any speed in fifth. No downshift ever needed. It just takes some time to get used to.

4 thou at 70, 5 at 90, which leaves 45 for 80, all figures aprox........ :D