"Therapy" Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back In The Saddle

Reaction score
I always read on this forum about the leather butt folks who routinely do 500 to 3,000 miles per ride (or more!). Frankly, I'm jealous. So I ditched work on Thursday and just did my personal "biggest" ride of 467 miles in a single day (yes, I know - someday I'll grow up)... but I've found that I "need" to ride a fairly long day every two weeks or so just to keep my sanity.

Now, I have the luxury of living in SoCal, so the weather isn't that big of a factor - and, I own my own business - so there's no boss to piss off. Still, I find that if I don't get my "ride" in - I'm just a real ashle. Well, let me clarify, I'm a real ashle to begin with - but I mean that I'm an even bigger one without the ride.

There's just something about it. I don't know how to explain it to anyone who doesn't ride... but I'm SURE that you folks can at least relate?

I'm back in the saddle (nice handle, I know) - after 10 years of not having a bike - and through this forum I picked the FJR over the ST1300. Wow. Wow.

It's so great to have such a great performance bike and a (semi) comfortable ride - I just NEED to ride it. I've parked my cage for the past 2 months (except for the 2 days of rain we got here - yes, I know - I'm a pussy) - but man - this bike is really... well... "IT".

Many thanks to all the posters here - and for the honest, no B.S. posts. I made one of the best buys EVER based on your collective experience and advice. THANKS!

Bob

P.S. Details of the ride (if you're in SoCal): Moorpark to 126, up the 5 (down the Grapevine), to 166 (Maricopa). Then turn right to 33, through Taft, up to the 58. Once you're out of Taft, it's really breath-taking! I mean, long sweeps, tight turns, grassy meadows that turn into trees, and back again. Damn nice ride. Then, on the 58 take "Bitterwater Road" (didn't know it existed). It's a long, high-speed road (REALLY rough in the last 1/3) - up to the 46. Take 46 to 101 and continue on 46 West to Highway 1. Turn left - and continue through Morro Bay, through San Luis Obispo, and to the 153. Once there - go back through the "back country" and you'll be dumped out at the 101 again in Santa Barbara. Continue back to the 126 - take the exit for 150 and turn RIGHT at Harvard and RIGHT at 12th. That takes you back to Balcom Canyon Road and whoppa - back home again. I left at 8:15 am and with 2 gas stops and 1 Taco Bell stop - rolled back in the driveway at 5:45 pm. Now THAT'S A NICE RIDE. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup! You summed that up nicely.

There have been a number of times when the wife hands me the proverbial key to my sanity and says, "Time for a ride!" I don't argue...I just ride. Like you, I must ride at least once a week, though it's often to work and back (I know, doesn't really count), but it helps take the edge off. I'm lookin to take a day ride here pretty soon as I feel the stress building!.

Thanks for reminding us of our wonderful stress releaving hobby.

Sport

Oh yea absolutely it is my stress relief as well. People at work think I'm crazy for riding everyday and racking up the miles. At this time in my life with the kids grown and just turned 50, my wife and I are coming back to our favorite pass time and enjoying the heck out of it. After 2 years and 38k miles on a Harley I'm so glad I found this FJR and was able to make the switch. I hope to meet up with some fellow riders and have some fun trips. Now winter is closing in so it's going to give me some time to clean and work on my baby. New Russel seat group buy is awesome and I can't wait to send mine in in 2 weeks. Sick days for riding are totally approved by my boss too. :drinks:

Ride Safe

Nothing wrong with keeping your sanity. Just yesterday I had to make a bank deposit for my restaurant. The bank is 1/2 mile away as the crow flies, but ended up being about 50 overall.

Sometimes ya just gotta ride a bit.

Bob

Agreed. Last week, I took Monday off and rode up into 'coal country' in southwest VA. Great scenic routes up that way. No clouds and temps in the mid 40s. Took my own sweet time and enjoyed every second. Wound up being 250+ miles. Worked wonders for me for the rest of the work week.

I ride year round, and I miss the So Cal weather, I used to live in Newport Beach, and move to Seattle, so rain is just part of riding, I would have to go for a ride after driving back home from 5 hr car trip to unwind. I was riding a ST1100 till a cager rear ended me in August, I now ride a 06 FJR and love it, the guys are giving me a hard time that I did not get a ST1300, I wanted a more Sport than Touring bike, and there is something about the rear end of the ST1300 that's BUTT UGLY..LOL.

Good post, Back in the Saddle. And yes, I can totally relate to it. I've been riding bikes for over 40 years now and every one of them has been a great stress reliever. My last two bikes (before I bought my FJR) are cruisers, and I still own them and love to ride them.

But I bought my '04 FJR last year and it has been a very special bike.

And your '08 looks great.

After 18 mths and 26,000km i still find every moment on the FJR to be a "put things right" kinda' of deal. From the moment the dials sweep until i swing the leg back away and walk around to the show side to look at the damn thing before turning off the shop lights.

-Don

Could not agree more, riding is my therapy too, I can usually manage a ride every day, work is less than 1 mile from home but depending on how early I leave home I can get 20 to 50 mile ride in. Fantastic and the day is much improved after it.

I got a new '09 Ultra Glide on Wednesday and got back on my '04FJR today, two very different bikes but both satisfy the therapy element of riding.

Later

Dave

Yap, I know what you mean. Anytime its good weather I can't hardly stand not riding. We have had some good weather down here since the harrycanes passed. Almost like SoCal..

I tell my co-workers that I have an appointment with Dr. Yamaha my cycle-therapist as opposed to a psychotherapist. They always comment how much better my mood and attitude is when I ride. I also have one of these small pillows that state; You Never See A Motorcycle Parked Ouside A Psychiatrst's Office.

Cycle Therapy is the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blowing off work for a ride is great therapy.

Even commuting to work is great to clear the cobwebs. I frequently ride to off-site meetings, and notice that I'm more refreshed and focused, as opposed to a cage trip.

P.S. Details of the ride (if you're in SoCal): Moorpark to 126, up the 5 (down the Grapevine), to 166 (Maricopa). Then turn right to 33, through Taft, up to the 58. Once you're out of Taft, it's really breath-taking! I mean, long sweeps, tight turns, grassy meadows that turn into trees, and back again. Damn nice ride. Then, on the 58 take "Bitterwater Road" (didn't know it existed). It's a long, high-speed road (REALLY rough in the last 1/3) - up to the 46. Take 46 to 101 and continue on 46 West to Highway 1. Turn left - and continue through Morro Bay, through San Luis Obispo, and to the 153. Once there - go back through the "back country" and you'll be dumped out at the 101 again in Santa Barbara. Continue back to the 126 - take the exit for 150 and turn RIGHT at Harvard and RIGHT at 12th. That takes you back to Balcom Canyon Road and whoppa - back home again. I left at 8:15 am and with 2 gas stops and 1 Taco Bell stop - rolled back in the driveway at 5:45 pm. Now THAT'S A NICE RIDE. :D

I love the Central Coast and inland for riding. Over the summer we left Santa Maria, out Cuyama (166), up 33 to Maricopa, taft and McKittrick, back 58 (short stop @ Santa Margarita Lake), to Avilla Beach for lunch, through Pismo and back to Santa Maria. Gorgeous ride to say the least! Live in OC so it's difficult to get away up there and ride but doing it as often as possible.

"Air Therapy"... that's what the lovely lady of my life (wife of 28 years) calls it. Getting a wee bit cold for her now in Germany (under 10c or 50f)... But that's when the power feels even better. With high fuel prices here, I need more purpose or destination for a whole-day ride, but can get plenty of instant "therapy" by hitting the Autobahn for about 5 miles at high speed (132 mph so far... could go faster except for those trucks that other slowpokes have to pass). Then I cruise back home a variety of ways through country roads in and out of the Black Forest. A week of rain and snow coming, so I'll be getting stir crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
"Air Therapy"... that's what the lovely lady of my life (wife of 28 years) calls it. Getting a wee bit cold for her now in Germany (under 10c or 50f)... But that's when the power feels even better. With high fuel prices here, I need more purpose or destination for a whole-day ride, but can get plenty of instant "therapy" by hitting the Autobahn for about 5 miles at high speed (132 mph so far... could go faster except for those trucks that other slowpokes have to pass). Then I cruise back home a variety of ways through country roads in and out of the Black Forest. A week of rain and snow coming, so I'll be getting stir crazy
Cool post. :clapping:

btw, many here ride down to freezing and some below if no moisture is present -black ice and such.