Things to check if buying a high-mileage 2006 AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodentrancher

Reaction score
Howdy folks, I'm contemplating the purchase of a fairly high mileage (30,000) 2006 AE from a local dealer. My current bike - a Suzuki DL650 - isn't as much fun to ride as it once was because I've developed a nasty inflammatory arthritis in my hands. The AE auto-clutch looks like it would be just the ticket for that problem.

My question is, can anyone point me to particular things that should be checked out when buying a high-mileage FJR? I'm aware of the electrical ground "spider" issue, are there other problems peculiar to this bike?

Thanks for any information!

Actually, a 30k mile FJR is a LOW mileage bike. It is just past the first 27k mile valve check -- has it been done on this prospective purchase? Things that are listed in The Bin 'o Facts on this site for the 2006 FJR are a recall for the instantaneous gas mileage readout stuck at 17 mpg, ignition lock recall, the previously mentioned ground spiders, high altitude ECU recall and an OEM trunk recall. If you give the VIN to any Yamaha dealer they can look up this bike and tell you what work has been done.

A FJR isn't a high-mileage bike until it is on the far side of 150k miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are buying from a Yamaha dealer, have their service department flush the clutch fluid, the hydraulic fluid is nearing 5 years old on these '06 bikes. Because it involves dropping the swing arm and using an indicator to measure the clutch basket throw, it probably hasn't been done. Make sure they follow the procedure in the service manual.

Aside from that it is just like any other aging FJR, fluid changes, check on brake pad wear, tires, ect.

Hope this helps

smile.gif

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Zak has an AE listed in the classifieds here for $6500. Have you considered that? It seems like a really good deal.