Thinking of buying a FJR1300 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameastbay

Reaction score
Guys,

I own two Yamaha's Venture and a Warrior. I am looking at a FJR1300 for work as a daily commuter motorcycle. I current ride a Kawaski ZZR600 to work. A couple of questions?

Can the seat be lowered on an 05 model? Seems my feet dont touch the ground all the way, I am 5-10. This is the standard model not the AE

How is the heating porbem around the motor?

Anything to watch for on the 05 models?

The seat can only be lowered by reworking it.

As far as the heat goes it kinda depends on you, one thing is for sure the 05's are a heat monster when you live out west.

The heat can be made bearable by doing a few mods, like heat blanket under tank and headers (thats what I did).

R

Guys,Can the seat be lowered on an 05 model? Seems my feet dont touch the ground all the way, I am 5-10. This is the standard model not the AE

I'm 5'8" and ride an '06 with the Sargent seat. I don't have any problem touching the ground; I just can't put my feet flat. Rarely do I have a problem with the seat height.

Guys,Can the seat be lowered on an 05 model? Seems my feet dont touch the ground all the way, I am 5-10. This is the standard model not the AE

I'm 5'8" and ride an '06 with the Sargent seat. I don't have any problem touching the ground; I just can't put my feet flat. Rarely do I have a problem with the seat height.
Right but your seat is adjustable, the 05 is not.

R

Can the seat be lowered on an 05 model?

as Fairlaner pointed out the seat is not adjustable. wearing a thicker sole boot/shoe may help.

How is the heating probem around the motor?

the Gen 1 FJR puts out a few btu's of heat. also mentioned there are several tweaks that can be done to help minimize, not elimiate, the warmth generated..

the heat issue it is very rider specific, i have added a heat shield blanket under the tank, the foam fix in the faring, and implemented the Cromeit fix.

Google - heat fix site:fjrforum.com

1st - images getting smaller in your mirrors

2nd - speeding ticket generators

3rd - farkle funds being moved from your accont to anothers'

cadman

Last edited by a moderator:
the heat issue it is very rider specific, i have added a heat shield blanket under the tank, the foam fix in the faring, and implemented the Cromeit fix.
Google - heat fix site:fjrforum.com
It also seems to be bike specific. Started out with an 04 and even with the fixes it still melted my shins. Upgraded to an 05 after an altercation with a Volvo and it is fine with only the tank blanket mod. Of course that didn't stop me from putting on a set of headers. :rolleyes:

Guys,
I own two Yamaha's Venture and a Warrior. I am looking at a FJR1300 for work as a daily commuter motorcycle. I current ride a Kawaski ZZR600 to work. A couple of questions?

Can the seat be lowered on an 05 model? Seems my feet dont touch the ground all the way, I am 5-10. This is the standard model not the AE

How is the heating porbem around the motor?

I wouldn't worry unduly about not being able to flat foot the bike. I'm five foot eight and have a 30 inch inseam. I don't think I was able to flat-foot the bike with the stock saddle and I know I can't with the Russell I've got on her now, but I've never had a tipover where being on the balls of my feet was the cause.

The heat issue is a ....well, depends on who you ask. I think it's ----ing annoying when temps are north of 80 or 90 degrees, but if I'm wearing my boots and riding pants and not sitting at a light it's not so bad. Part of the problem, I think, is that heated fuel from the injectors is recirculated into the tank, heating up the fuel tank. Strange way to do things, IMHO.

I've tinkered with the bike like there's no tomorrow, but functionally there's really very little "wrong" with it straight from the factory. I think that the mods that I found most functional were replacing the factory windscreen (I'll be cutting the OEM one down later) and going to a Russell saddle. Depending on how many miles the bike has, replacing the factory suspension (Heloooooo GP Group Buy! :yahoo: ) should be on your list.

Buy it, you'll like it. :)

Rancho

If you need help pulling the trigger on a deal let me know, I've bought as many 05's as anybody and have been watching the market for more than a year straight. I can tell you what is and isn't good deal in about 30 seconds. Get it, you will like it.

The heat issue is a ....well, depends on who you ask. I think it's ----ing annoying when temps are north of 80 or 90 degrees, but if I'm wearing my boots and riding pants and not sitting at a light it's not so bad. Part of the problem, I think, is that heated fuel from the injectors is recirculated into the tank, heating up the fuel tank. Strange way to do things, IMHO.Buy it, you'll like it. :)

Rancho
Actually, quite common. 99% of fuel injected vehicles have a fuel return system in place-it's just that on a bike, the tank is right there, and it's limited capacity insures that eventually, that returning fuel is gonna heat things up. The Gen II is the odder of the two-it's internal pump pressure bypass is unusual, but it does the trick.

Right but your seat is adjustable, the 05 is not.

R

The seat on GenI bikes are the same height as the GenII (adjustable seat) in the low position, not?

I am 5'11" and don't have a problem with both feet on the ground. Make sure the rear shock quick adjust handle is in the soft position, that will make a difference in the height of the seat.

The heat issue is very subjective. I have a '94 K75RT that will burn your hand if you touch the fuel tank on a summer day. By comparison, the Fjeer is not very hot considering that the engine is twice the size.

25,000 miles and still running smooth.

+1 Cadman

1st - images getting smaller in your mirrors

2nd - speeding ticket generators

3rd - farkle funds being moved from your accont to anothers'

Make sure the rear shock quick adjust handle is in the soft position, that will make a difference in the height of the seat.
I am not 100% positive but I am pretty sure that the preload adjustment for hard/soft makes no difference in the seat's height.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5' 10" and can't touch flat either with my stock seat, but it's really about your skill level and confidence...If you're comfortable and in control, flat feet really don't matter. There are a lot of short fast guys that need a boost to get on a bike. If you're comfortable, the balls of your feet are enough, but I understand your concern. Just my .02.

The heat issue is a ....well, depends on who you ask. I think it's ----ing annoying when temps are north of 80 or 90 degrees, but if I'm wearing my boots and riding pants and not sitting at a light it's not so bad. Part of the problem, I think, is that heated fuel from the injectors is recirculated into the tank, heating up the fuel tank. Strange way to do things, IMHO.Buy it, you'll like it. :)

Rancho
Actually, quite common. 99% of fuel injected vehicles have a fuel return system in place-it's just that on a bike, the tank is right there, and it's limited capacity insures that eventually, that returning fuel is gonna heat things up. The Gen II is the odder of the two-it's internal pump pressure bypass is unusual, but it does the trick.
Well yeah, it's common, but ISTM that if the driver/rider is gonna be sittin' on the damned thing they'd .... awww fukit. It is what it is, eh? <_< (But why on earth would you run two fuel lines from the gas tank at the back of a car to the engine? Seems the hard way to me.)

Can ya explain the internal pump pressure bypass? I assume the fuel pump is in the tank and if the the pressure builds up it just offloads the excess pressure into the tank before it gets to the pipes to the injectors? And the fuel line ends at the last injector, right? Retrofittable?

Thanky!

Rancho

Or, you could save yourself alot or worry, and pick up an 07 instead. No heat,, nice seat, and the best color they have put out yet! :yahoo: I know that some of the "other" riders don't agree about the color, the jealous basters! :dribble: