Thinking of buying a Mayer Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
Looking to replace the stock seat. Conversations at SFO showed that the Russel was better for folks north of 230#, below that the Russel is better. Saw a couple at SFO but I think we were all too into jabbering about them instead of tryin them on (late night in the parking lot).

Anybody in the Houston area that has one that we might stop by and sit on? Not to take the bike for a ride, mind you, only to check out the fit of the seat in the driveway.

Looking to replace the stock seat. Conversations at SFO showed that the Russel was better for folks north of 230#, below that the Russel is better. Saw a couple at SFO but I think we were all too into jabbering about them instead of tryin them on (late night in the parking lot).
Anybody in the Houston area that has one that we might stop by and sit on? Not to take the bike for a ride, mind you, only to check out the fit of the seat in the driveway.
If you're looking for a Mayer seat, don't compare with someone else's since they are all made to order. Of course, you can get an idea of the general look, and workmanship but no custome seat will fit you quite right except your own. That is of couse unless your butt is identical in size and shape to someone else's. :)

Jill

Personally I have had three customs on the FJR and the Russell by far is the best. Rick Mayer, and Corbin the others. I have a Bill Mayer on my DL650 Wee Strom.

If you're looking for a Mayer seat, don't compare with someone else's since they are all made to order. Of course, you can get an idea of the general look, and workmanship but no custome seat will fit you quite right except your own. That is of couse unless your butt is identical in size and shape to someone else's. :)

Jill

Good point, hadn't thought about that. The reason for the photos to be sent with the seat, no doubt. I was just a little hesitant about dumping a pile of money into an untried product but I've now read elsewhere that I can just keep sending it back until it's comfy. Thanks for the tip.

I just got my Bill Mayer seat back last week and I love it. They gave 10% off since I was a member but said the Group buy is no more. I cant say enough good things about it, best comfort upgrade I have made to any bike.

What was your turn around time? I'm assuming that you sent your original seat base in to be modifyed

What was your turn around time? I'm assuming that you sent your original seat base in to be modifyed

I dropped it off at Fedex on a Monday afternoon, my build date was the following Monday. They received it Thursday, 4 days prior to my build date. It was actually built on Wednesday (2 days after scheduled build date and a week after they received it) and sent out Thursday. I am in Va and it was delivered the following Wednesday. I paid Fedex 24.00 and it was delivered express to them in 2 days. They sent it back UPS ground and shipping charge was 33.50 so I expected a little more than the 7 days to get it. So total time was a little over 2 weeks. I really like the seat so in the long run it was worth the wait. Hope that helps.

I dropped it off at Fedex on a Monday afternoon, my build date was the following Monday. They received it Thursday, 4 days prior to my build date. It was actually built on Wednesday (2 days after scheduled build date and a week after they received it) and sent out Thursday. I am in Va and it was delivered the following Wednesday. I paid Fedex 24.00 and it was delivered express to them in 2 days. They sent it back UPS ground and shipping charge was 33.50 so I expected a little more than the 7 days to get it. So total time was a little over 2 weeks. I really like the seat so in the long run it was worth the wait. Hope that helps.

Virginiafjr, how did you do the measurements? I weigh in right at 220 in the birthday suit, and the only complaint I have about my FJR is the seat, after about 300 miles I think I am sitting on a concrete bench...from your description earlier, I know you like it, but why did you pick the Bill Mayer over the other options?