Thinking of changing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigArn

Reaction score
Hello, I’m currently ridding a 2001 BMW 1100RT. Love the bike, but now I can’t seem to get the FJR out of my mind. Saw it and sat on it at the motorcycle show here in Cleveland. Called a local dealer to find out that they stopped taking orders on them back in December. But he’s got me on a waiting list just in-case somebody backs out or they get a extra bike or two. Well this morning had a message to call him, but they are closed today, so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow to see what he has to say. I’m thinking that he may have a bike for me!! So here is my question, anybody here go from a RT to the FJR? If so, was it a good move? I ride around 12,000 miles a year, do two weeklong trips. One solo and one with the SO. Will she like the new ride, or miss the RT? The RT has great protection from the elements, does the FJR have the same? And for the vertically challenged, what did you do to make the bike more manageable when stopped? On the RT, I lowered it with Works Performance shocks and a Sargent “low” seat. I understand that Sargent makes a similar seat for the FJR, so that would be one of the first things I would do.

Thanks

You say you sat on one at the bike show. If the seat was all the way down and it wasn't suitable, I'd stick with the Beemer or find a used FJR with a lower seat and see if that might work. It may be a while before custom seat choices are available (much less suspension mods) and, even then, they may not get much lower than stock. The FJR will also be challenged in the auxiliary wattage department, in case you're using heated garments. If the Beemer is sporty enough for you, save your coin. Super Sport Touring has its tradeoffs, and isn't for everyone.

The FJR still has dogbones which can be replaced with longer ones to lower it.

I don't know who makes them or how long (lowered) they offer.

Many on this board do come from BMW's or some still own both.

Good Luck...

Don't I know you from another RT related board??? :D

Yes, I dumped the slug of an RT for the FJR. Never to look back. Spend some quality time in the FJR saddle, and you won't either. 'Specially where the loud handle is concerned. ;)

The RT is DEFF taller than the FJR saddle. At 6'1" I never had any issues with the RT heigth, even with the "wings" on my Russell. The FJR (without looking up seat heigth specs) most deff feels like a lower saddle.

BMW vs. FJR gets batted around a lot here, and I say no fair cause we gotta take on the RT and the GT (and a few other models) in these discussions. B)

I think the RT has the edge in element protection, but one point often gets overlooked: My pal on the RT complains about crosswinds while in similar conditions, I hardly notice. The FJR is a sled in crosswinds, oblivious to all but the most serious stuff. Trade off for the profile and protection, I'm guessin.

On the RT, I lowered it with Works Performance shocks and a Sargent “low” seat.
The '06 FJR has the adjustable seat, so you might be able to lower some there. Additional customizing always an option. Also, we just had a group buy for Wilbers shocks, which has option to lower up to 50mm. (You lower fork tubes by corresponding amount.) While this may affect performance some, I decided what-the-hay, went 30mm lower to give it a try.
As far as dealers magically coming up with new FJRs outside of the PDP ordering parameters, you can count on it! Generally, tougher to negotiate a better price, but there are always *extras* when the fat lady sings.

Good luck on decision! Sounds like you are 'hooked' by the tone of it. Better get the Feejer, then you'll know--and you can post advice for those jumping from the Beemer ship(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no point of reference for the beemer. I came off a goldwing to get on the FJR, and I ain't goin' back. The weather protection is actually better, especially at speed. However, the wife ain't as thrilled with her seat on the FJR. She preferred the wing. Solution? I'm going to buy her her own bike.

How vertically challenged are you? I am 5'6" on a good day. Bought my 04 used with a Rick Mayer seat. Footing no problem. I think the custom seat helps me touch the ground a good custom seat is money well spent. Don't worry, once you crack the throttle you will forget all about that BMwhatever it was bike.

Don't I know you from another RT related board???  :D
Yes, that would be the same BigArn over there. I sat on the 06 FJR at the bike show and felt OK on it. I wasn't sure what the setting the seat was set at, but was on the balls of my feet. I like the idea of the 154 ponies and just the look of the bike. I know what that type of riiding is all about with ridding the RT.

How vertically challenged are you? I am 5'6" on a good day. Bought my 04 used with a Rick Mayer seat. Footing no problem.  I think the custom seat helps me touch the ground a good custom seat is money well spent. Don't worry, once you crack the throttle you will forget all about that BMwhatever it was bike.
I've got a 30" inseam. But as I said in a reply, while sitting on one of two FJR's at the bike show, one felt a little to tall and one felt just about perfect. I'm not sure about were the seats on both bikes were set at, but a saleman said that the rear "sag" of the susspension might of been softened up.

BigArn, my neighbor has an 04 RT, I've ridden his and he has ridden my fjr, my neighbor like you, is, shall I say a bit vertically challanged. My fjr is a 04 so no adjustable seat, no adjustable handlebars, no heat issue adjustments--all 06 advancements. He has to hug the tank on my bike and he does not particularly like the nut roasting effect, (his only complaint) but he loves the inline 4 and the absolute rush of the bike. He wants to ride an 06 fjr ASAP to see if it solved his heat issue problems, if Yamaha really did come up w/the right solution he claims his RT will be up for sale, I just don't know, where or when he will get the opportunity to try a 06. I like riding his RT but I hate the servo assist breaks, his BMW has w/o a doubt a more comfortable suspension and its a joy to ride, but there is no dealership in our state (MS), the closest is in LA -Baton Rouge. Each bike has its own advantages and disadvantages, you cant really go wrong w/either bike, but I must say it really pisses my neighbor off that I lead whenever I want! :D

BigArn,

The 06 "A" Model (Cobalt Blue) at the Cleveland bike show had the seat in the highest setting, I didn't look close enough at the "AE" model to notice.

BigArn,The 06 "A" Model (Cobalt Blue) at the Cleveland bike show had the seat in the highest setting, I didn't look close enough at the "AE" model to notice.
The AE model felt much better then the Blue one did. Maybe that seat was set lower.

I've still got an 1150RT and I think you are comparing two very different bikes. I don't think the FJR can be compared. The RT is a great lazy day touring bike with great protection from the elements. The FJR is truly a sport touring machine, with very different ergos, for both rider and passenger. That said, the first thing I did was get the foot peg extenders for the passenger which gives a more relaxed seating position. I don't know if the position of these has been changed on the 06?? The passenger also seems more exposed to wind turbulence on the FJR and if concern for your passenger is a big issue you may want to "try before you buy."

The FJR is a great ST machine and puts the KGT to shame.

I also liked the 1100 engine and still don't see any significant improvement in the 1150.

BTW my inseam is 30 and haven't had issues with either machine. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read that the '06 moved the rear passenger pegs down an inch and forward an inch.

Some dealers will order extra FJR's that have not been pre-purchased by individual customers. I bought a NEW 05 ABS FJR in November 2006. The dealer had purchased extra FJR's from Yamaha knowing they would sell them to "non-reserving" customers during the model year. The dealer I purchased my 05 FJR from still has 2 NEW 05's on their showroom floor -- one is ABS, the other non ABS.

I suspect that other dealers around the country also purchase extra FJR's. If you cannot locate one, call Woods Fun Center in Austin, TX to see if they have extra 06's on order. OR, you could still get a NEW '05 if you have an interest.

Some dealers will order extra FJR's that have not been pre-purchased by individual customers. I bought a NEW 05 ABS FJR in November 2006. The dealer had purchased extra FJR's from Yamaha knowing they would sell them to "non-reserving" customers during the model year. The dealer I purchased my 05 FJR from still has 2 NEW 05's on their showroom floor -- one is ABS, the other non ABS.
I suspect that other dealers around the country also purchase extra FJR's. If you cannot locate one, call Woods Fun Center in Austin, TX to see if they have extra 06's on order. OR, you could still get a NEW '05 if you have an interest.
Beware Warranty starts when they receive not when you buy...

BigArn,The 06 "A" Model (Cobalt Blue) at the Cleveland bike show had the seat in the highest setting, I didn't look close enough at the "AE" model to notice.
The AE model felt much better then the Blue one did. Maybe that seat was set lower.
I was at the Chicago show last night and they had the "A" blue one at the highest seat position.

The "AE" silver one was set at the lowest.

I suspect they have had the same settings at all of their shows.

By the way, I thought the previous blue was a very nice color but the new blue is absolutely gorgeous.

I have an K12S in addition to an FJR. The Yammy is my long distance bike and I am vertically challenged at 5'7" and a 28" inseam. It was okay stock but decided to lower it last year with a custom Wilbers shock. Too a bit of fiddling to dial in the new suspension but it really rocks now and is quite low. I can play soccer while riding. :D