thinking of getting an FJR.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninjamonkey64

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking of getting an FJR. I currently ride a Yamaha Bolt and love it but would like something bigger. Something that would be better for trips if I ever go on one. From my bolt I have thought about upgrading to either a Yamaha Star Venture or a Yamaha FJR. Both are a bit more pricey than my Bolt but, I'm weighing my options. 

Make sure you are comfortable with the reach to the ground. One flat foot, both flat feet, or simply tip toed; whichever is comfortable for you, check it first. The last thing we need is another thread about lowering the bike so that it has the same cornering clearance of a HD Bagger.  😇

Lots of good deals to be had with used FJRs.

Depends on what you want.  In terms of performance, the two bikes aren't even on the same page.

The Venture is a "luxury" touring bike with an 85 crank HP air-cooled V-twin engine.  A bit on the porky side at 960 lb with a belt drive.

FJR weighs in at 650 lb and is shaft driven - 141 HP at the crank.  So, the Star Venture is 150% of the weight with 65% of the power.  As far as ergonomics are concerned, you would have to judge for yourself but I expect that the Venture is better at being a road sofa.  Can't speak for relative reliability but you would have to be pretty good to beat the FJR.

As much as I like Yamaha, I think they missed the boat on this one.  I would look at BMW K1600 or Honda Goldwing if I was considering a bike in this category.

Latest posts