Those with Sargent covers on stock rear pillions...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELP_JC

Reaction score
Hi gang. Just wondering if you used the 'moisture barrier' since the stock pillion didn't have one. Maybe the Sargent foam is more prone to moisture damage. Or is it that the Sargent cover is more porous than the stock cover?

I don't want the seat making swishy noises, nor having to glue the plastic to the stock foam, so hope I can leave it out. Hope most of you left it out, so I can follow suit < he he>. Thank you for your help.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently none of the 18 'viewers' have it, or don't want to help. Will install it without the plastic. Thanks anyway.

JC

I think I am still on the ignore list so it would do no good to try to help out. :yahoo:

Hi gang. Just wondering if you used the 'moisture barrier' since the stock pillion didn't have one. Maybe the Sargent foam is more prone to moisture damage. Or is it that the Sargent cover is more porous than the stock cover? I don't want the seat making swishy noises, nor having to glue the plastic to the stock foam, so hope I can leave it out. Hope most of you left it out, so I can follow suit < he he>. Thank you for your help.

JC
Yes I used it. I used it to 'bag' the foam and installed the cover. No issues with crinkling or bunching up.

Personally, I have no idea what you're talking about.
If you had one (like the title says), you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's a piece of clear, thin plastic, similar to a grocery store plastic bag used for fresh vegetables.

I haven't done it since I had to cancel my trip today at the last minute, but question the need if the stock cover didn't have any. Vinyl shouldn't be porous, so the Sargent cover should be as water 'resistant' as stock, no? By the way, I'll probably never have anybody on the back; just my trusty tail bag during trips. Thanks for your help gang.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon closer inspection, the stock foam has a rubber coating, visible on the bottom edges (you can peel it off). It didn't look porous at all, and that's why. Installed the cover without the extra plastic. Ended up looking perfectly from the top, but my staple gun didn't go a factory job underneath, like I wanted to. Nobody can see it, so no biggie. Factory must use a special air gun since it shoots even between nooks and crannies; can't do that with my generic mechanical one.

Thanks for the help.

JC