Throttel Tamer??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reformer

Reaction score
I have not seen anyone discussion a throttle tamer like this:

https://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/Yamaha-4-1.html

I've taken the free play out of my throttle, unwound the throttle return spring one time and set the idle from 9 to 11k. I have not bought /installed a new injector computer like some have suggested I try. Has anyone ever tried using a throttle tamer like this one. It would seem like this might work. I'm looking for feedback/suggestions..

Thanks everyone. Already, this community has been a huge help in getting my bike set up for me.

dean

In the 5 days you've been here I can well imagine. But, before then discussed many, many times with search terms like g2 site:fjrforum.com at Google like here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, discussed before. However, my .02. While the G2 helps, after you've unwound the spring, it won't cure your concerns. Save your money and put it towards a PC5. This will improve the FI system immensely to get rid of hesitations and improve low end response. You can always decide on the G2 later. I'm not sure if I were doing it again that I would get the G2.

Yes, discussed before. However, my .02. While the G2 helps, after you've unwound the spring, it won't cure your concerns. Save your money and put it towards a PC5. This will improve the FI system immensely to get rid of hesitations and improve low end response. You can always decide on the G2 later. I'm not sure if I were doing it again that I would get the G2.
I thought the herky jerky throttle thing was fixed after 2006. Is this still an issue in later models after yamaha decided to return to the 2005 throttle pulley?

greygoose

I thought the herky jerky throttle thing was fixed after 2006. Is this still an issue in later models after yamaha decided to return to the 2005 throttle pulley?

greygoose
It was a problem on my '07. The PC5 made a big difference. I'm not sure the G2 did anything noticable.

Don't have the throttle return spring unwound... yet... but the G2 tube made an amazing difference to me. If I have a lot of time and money I'd look into the PC-V but the G2 is quick and easy 'improvement'. If you treat the throttle like an on-off switch, then don't bother, but it does offer a significantly larger amount of throttle control for breaking inertia and low speed maneuvering.

greygoose
You may notice the OP has an '06... but yes it was still a problem in '07. Yamaha made mods to the '08 to 'improve' the issue.

In the 5 days you've been here I can well imagine. But, before then discussed many, many times with search terms like g2 site:fjrforum.com at Google like here.

Didn't even know how to do that search on google... great to know.. Thank much.. I'll be able to find what I'm looking for much more efficiently and not bother you with such stuff :dribble:

I "think" that PC5 stands for power commander??? I've been reading a lot of postes on here, but was not sure if that was really what I needed for the slow speed adjustments. I have no real need to get more power out of the bike, it is very nice as it is. I'll keep reading up on this, and I appreciate your recommendation very much.

I "think" that PC5 stands for power commander??? I've been reading a lot of postes on here, but was not sure if that was really what I needed for the slow speed adjustments. I have no real need to get more power out of the bike, it is very nice as it is. I'll keep reading up on this, and I appreciate your recommendation very much.
I have a PC-III (yes, power commander) and it made a huge difference in the abrupt throttle response. A PC works by adjusting the amount of fuel that's added based on engine rpm and throttle opening. So if there's an abrupt throttle surge when you open the throttle off idle, then the PC can be adjusted to add less fuel at that point which will smooth the acceleration. I haven't noticed any increase in power with the PC installed - all it did in my case was tune the fuel injection for better driveability with no concern for emissions that Yamaha has when designing their fuel map.

then the PC can be adjusted to add less fuel at that point which will smooth the acceleration. I haven't noticed any increase in power with the PC installed - all it did in my case was tune the fuel injection for better driveability with no concern for emissions that Yamaha has when designing their fuel map.
What did it do to your MPG?

When do the "dyno route" for economy riding and lost 10% on my cruiser.

In my case, I did the G2 mod on my '07 first, but found the throttle effort still too high (tired/sore wrist after 1/2 hour), and it was obvious from the getgo. So I unwound the throttle spring and no more sore wrist, but the hesitations and surges from the "lean" factory fuel map continued. I got the PC5 from fuelmoto.com and their supplied map for the FJR. Whle not perfect, it is a smoothing map that did not affect fuel mileage but improved performance and fixed most of the issues. I may modify the fuel map at some point in the future as I gain experience with it this year, but I haven't seen the necessity yet. For me the G2 mod was of no great benefit except maybe at a stop sign, but I would say save your money on that (or do it last if you think you need it).

There are other fuel maps developed by others on this site that I have used for reference, but I also wish to preserve fuel economy. However, the PC5 does have capability to switch between two fuel maps.

then the PC can be adjusted to add less fuel at that point which will smooth the acceleration. I haven't noticed any increase in power with the PC installed - all it did in my case was tune the fuel injection for better driveability with no concern for emissions that Yamaha has when designing their fuel map.
What did it do to your MPG?

When do the "dyno route" for economy riding and lost 10% on my cruiser.
I lost 7-8% in fuel economy, but it was well worth it to me for the greatly improved driveability. With the new PC5, it would be possible to quickly switch between "smooth" and "good economy" maps. I have to drag the laptop out to update my PC3. :angry2: