Throttle cable slack adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaTom

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the magic words for the search engine, but I'll bet it's been discussed before.

I've got an 07, and I'm gonna do the G2 tube mod today, but my question is, Do I have to remove throttle slack from the throttle body, or can I do it at the grip? (not really wanting to tear the bike down with a full tank of gas and a 25 degree garage)

Thanks.

Tom

Follow the two throttle cables from where they leave the grip. Roughly 4 inches from where the cables exit, you will see one cable with a rubber boot covering the slack adjustment nuts. Pull back the boot, use two wrenches and adjust as required to minimize the free play. The nut on the end is a lock nut, loosen the locker and then turn the long hex nut to adjust. No need to lift the tank!

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow the two throttle cables from where they leave the grip. Roughly 4 inches from where the cables exit, you will see one cable with a rubber boot covering the slack adjustment nuts. Pull back the boot, use two wrenches and adjust as required to minimize the free play.
Excellent, I saw that boot there, but was wary of tinkering with it with no reason.

Thanks, where my hammer! I have some mechanic'n to do! ;)

Ok, Next question.

I see a remnant of what might be lithium grease or something. The old plastic tube on the aluminum bars was very slick, this aluminum on aluminium seems a little less slick. Is it recommended to lube under the new tube?

(I was a much better mechanic when I was in the Air Force, but then I had a big book full of pictures and words that held my hand for me)

Thanks

Ok, Next question.
I see a remnant of what might be lithium grease or something. The old plastic tube on the aluminum bars was very slick, this aluminum on aluminium seems a little less slick. Is it recommended to lube under the new tube?

(I was a much better mechanic when I was in the Air Force, but then I had a big book full of pictures and words that held my hand for me)

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I was wondering the same thing. I emailed G2 this morning to see what they recommend. I'll post something if/when they reply.

EricR

Ok, Next question.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I was wondering the same thing. I emailed G2 this morning to see what they recommend. I'll post something if/when they reply.

EricR
The manual says to lube. The diagram is iffy but says to lube the bar where the sleeve rides with a light coat of LS grease. Waterpoof grease works well. I used Moly 60 Honda grease. Also lube the cable ends and the cam ramp where the cables ride with grease. While its apart lube the cables with engine oil or cable lube. PM. <><

Hi Tom,

EricR
Here is the response from G2...

Lubing the throttle tube is a personal preference. If I were to lube the tube I would use a spray on graphite that dry's but some people use a real light film of grease.

EricR

Hi Tom,

EricR
Here is the response from G2...

Lubing the throttle tube is a personal preference. If I were to lube the tube I would use a spray on graphite that dry's but some people use a real light film of grease.

EricR
Cool, thanks

Remember that some greases get very tacky when cold so that could easily hamper throttle movement/operation if you ride in the cold. This is typically why most manuals and "official" answers are evasive and/or "do not lube". If you ride in only warm weather it really isn't much of an issue but use a very thin grease regardless if you decide to lube.