Throttle Locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTINSTRUCTOR

Reaction score
For anyone wanting a very quality made throttle lock, I can recommend Brake-Away. My wife and I had them on our Honda ST1300s and now have them on both of our FJRs. Expensive, but they are really quality products. Very well engineered. They work somewhat like Vista Crusiers, but are very high quality alumimun. Plus, they not only work by a release button, but by using the front brake lever as well. Hit the front brake and they disengage. Very clever. Believe me, it is a very nice feature. And, due to the way they are made, you can easily adjust your speed or roll them off when they are engaged

Not much fun installing them, but if you follow their instructions, it is not that bad. It gets bad when you think your know how to do it and don't read the fine print. That's what I did and then I just when back, read the instructions and magically they work fine.

Also, the people at Brake Away are wonderfully helpful. Got a problem? Just call them.

Do I work for the company? Heck no. But so far, I really think the $200 each is well spent. I have over 30,000 miles with Brake Aways. My wife has about 26,000 miles. She refused to let me try Throttlemiester or Vista Crusier on her bike because of the front brake feature of Brake Away. She absolutley loves them. But, more importantly, she trusts them. I also like them because they overcome that really strong throttle spring in the FJR.

Take a look.....www.brakeawayproducts.com

Kern

Geez for 200 bucks you can get 2 Audiovox units and have real cruise, or most of an install job on one.

It holds hills, has a resume, and disengages with either brake. Also works with [ahem] most AEs, and works with heated grips. (Got those last two caveats from the link you implied.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez for 200 bucks you can get 2 Audiovox units and have real cruise, or most of an install job on one.
It holds hills, has a resume, and disengages with either brake. Also works with [ahem] most AEs, and works with heated grips. (Got those last two caveats from the link you implied.)
Understood! However, I am not a good electrical guy. Also, I don't want a cruise control as I ride with my wife and we both like the "adjustable" ability of the throttle locks. The guys with the throttlemiesters (not much cheaper) like the idea as well.

However, you are right. It makes more sense to go real cruise control for the bucks. Actually, given that you feel I don't spend my money right....maybe I should have both (LOL).

By the way, you have got probably the coolest AVR I have seen to date. Is it you?

For about $197 less ($3) I made a friction lock like a ThrottleMeister from a knob, nut, screw, and a few washers; all purchased from the Motorcycle Hardware section of Home Depot. Yours will look better though.

Bob

If we are talking frugal, here's what I have going on mine.

$10, infinitely adjustable. And mine seems to hold hills just fine... :rolleyes:

Clicky

By the way, you have got probably the coolest AVR I have seen to date. Is it you?

Um, sort of. It's me playing Tourist Trophy on the Playstation 2. B) The '05 FJR is actually one of the bikes in the game!

If you're interested, the whole lap is in a thread I have here.

NEP #3 make a throttle lock for about 25$ that I used with a plastic tie at the bottom that works perfect. No need to spend a lot of money to hold the throttle in place.