Throttle Tamer Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddy

Reaction score
Ok, my G2 throttle tamer for my 07' 1300AE has arrived. I am looking for detailed instructions on how to put it on my bike. Also, in looking at the shape of the new cam, can the old cam be modified (dremel or something similar)? If the instructions are already out there, help me out with a link. Thanks in advance for those willing to help.

Web Bike World Linky

Easy-Peasy Big Daddy

Edit - Oops, forgot to mention that you wouldn't want to do anything to the old throttle tube since it's made of plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PCIII USB on order for mine. I understand the G2 works, but from what I read on here the PowerCommander is a better fix for the throttle, and also allows many, many other adjustments should you like to tinker and add. :rolleyes:

I know the '08 has a different throttle tube, but has anyone installed the G2 and if so,what were the results?

Yes, easy job. If you don't have compressed air try a very thin screwdriver and soapy water in a spray bottle. I would take seriously the advice about being very careful if you have heated grips. In that case I would take it someplace with compressed air. The screwdrive method could hurt the heating element. Installation is a snap - the hardest part is getting the cable housing back together.

1. Pick up some WD40 and a can of compressed air at Office Depot.

2. Remove the throttle housing.

3. Remove the bar end.

4. Remove the throttle cables from the stock tube.

4. Pull the grip and tube off the handlebar.

4a. Careful, the grip is hardwired to the bike due to the heating elements. You might need to feed some extra cable through the bars to give you enough cable slack to remove the grip/tube.

4b. Remember the position if the grip, i.e., the position where the heating cable meets the grip. You'll need to ensure the grip goes back into that same position, so that the heating cable doesn't bind or stretch as you twist the throttle.

5. Use the WD-40 and/or compressed air to jet into the space between the tube and grip to loosen and remove the tube.

6. Spritz some WD-40 on the G2 tube, if necessary, and work the grip back on it.

7. Put the new tube/grip back on the handlebar.

8. Adjust the rotation of the grip, so that the heating cable is located properly, re item 4B above.

9. Hook up the throttle cables. Their locations are obvious.

10. Re-assemble the throttle housing.

10a. The throttle cables have little plastic dealies that insert into little slots on each half of the assembly. The heating cable has it's own little hole, with a rubber gasket on the cable to weather-proof it. You gotta align all these bits for the housing to snap back together.

11. Re-attach the bar end.

1. Pick up some WD40 and a can of compressed air at Office Depot.2. Remove the throttle housing.

3. Remove the bar end.

4a. Careful, the grip is hardwired to the bike due to the heating elements. You might need to feed some extra cable through the bars to give you enough cable slack to remove the grip/tube.

4b. Remember the position if the grip, i.e., the position where the heating cable meets the grip. You'll need to ensure the grip goes back into that same position, so that the heating cable doesn't bind or stretch as you twist the throttle.

5. Use the WD-40 and/or compressed air to jet into the space between the tube and grip to loosen and remove the tube.

6. Spritz some WD-40 on the G2 tube, if necessary, and work the grip back on it.

8. Adjust the rotation of the grip, so that the heating cable is located properly, re item 4B above.

10a. The throttle cables have little plastic dealies that insert into little slots on each half of the assembly. The heating cable has it's own little hole, with a rubber gasket on the cable to weather-proof it. You gotta align all these bits for the housing to snap back together.

Thank you all for your replies. I will do it this weekend and see what happens. I will also check into the PCIII. I keep seeing threads referencing it.

1. Pick up some WD40 and a can of compressed air at Office Depot.2. Remove the throttle housing.

3. Remove the bar end.

Thank you all for your replies. I will do it this weekend and see what happens. I will also check into the PCIII. I keep seeing threads referencing it.
Ok, I got the stock tube off the handlebar, so far without tearing anything up, but getting the grip off the tube wasn't as simple as I thought. I have compressed air and so far, nada. I tried the WD40 and it seems to be working very slowly. OK, OK, so patience isn't one of my few virtues. Still should it take this long, 30 minutes at this point, for the tube to loosen up?

Finally finished the G2 throttle install. Hide all tool boxes from me. Anyway, it's a tremendous difference. Hopefully it will keep me from playing in traffic. To all those who replied, Thanks.

I followed the directions here as well, the hardest part was getting the grip off the stock tube. Used WD40 and within 15 minutes, it slipped right off. Put the G2 on and buttoned it back up. Very nice improvement.

Take it apart and put the new one in and adjust the cables. Carefully!

My first technical report.

Done.

It even helped my old '04.