Throttlemeister installation.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playgtar

Reaction score
If anyone can offer some advice on how to remedy this problem it would be greatly appreciated. I bought a Throttlemeister for my bike. Although not as easy as the directions said, I have the throttle side on. If anyone else has installed one you're aware you have to remove the grommets from inside the handlebar tube. This is accomplished by a small metal piece you hold against the tube and a screw is screwed in where your end cap screw was. By tightening the screw it expands the rubber grommet and pulls it into the piece you're holding against the bar end. The rubber grommet AND the metal tubing around it come out. Ok, here's the problem. Same procedure on the clutch side. This time the rubber came out but not the metal that surrounds it. Therefore the piston for the clutch side bar end will not fit into the handlebar tube, because the thin metal tube that surrounds the grommet is still stuck in the bar. Again, no rubber left in the grommet tube. HOW DO I GET IT OUT? Help please!!!

Well you can seach as suggested, but I thnk you won't find anyting of much help at this point. I Think there was one guy that did exactly what you did, and ended up trashing his handlebar so bad trying to get the sleeve out he ended up buying a new handlebar.

On that note, I can suggest a few ideas here. You have a tube stuck inside another tube right? Find somethng you can put in there that will grab the back of the inner tube. A one piece offset screwdriver? You need something long enough and strong enough to hook the back of the tube and allow you to exsert force on it somehow to "pull " the tube out.

I would think of a long threaded rod that has a steel washer between two nuts at one end, It has to be fit through the inner tube so you can hook the back of it with the edge of the washer.

A piece of heavy pipe goes around the rod and wth a larger washer at the other end you use the pipe as a impact hammer to apply force in the proper direction.

I can be more detailed if you are unclear.

KM

Well you can seach as suggested, but I thnk you won't find anyting of much help at this point. I Think there was one guy that did exactly what you did, and ended up trashing his handlebar so bad trying to get the sleeve out he ended up buying a new handlebar.

On that note, I can suggest a few ideas here. You have a tube stuck inside another tube right? Find somethng you can put in there that will grab the back of the inner tube. A one piece offset screwdriver? You need something long enough and strong enough to hook the back of the tube and allow you to exsert force on it somehow to "pull " the tube out.

I would think of a long threaded rod that has a steel washer between two nuts at one end, It has to be fit through the inner tube so you can hook the back of it with the edge of the washer.

A piece of heavy pipe goes around the rod and wth a larger washer at the other end you use the pipe as a impact hammer to apply force in the proper direction.

I can be more detailed if you are unclear.

KM
I'm unclear. The end of the grommet tube is against a ..........sort of flange, to prevent it grom going deeper into the tube. There is no way to get a hold of the back of it.

KM

I'm unclear. The end of the grommet tube is against a ..........sort of flange, to prevent it grom going deeper into the tube. There is no way to get a hold of the back of it.

I had to take a hacksaw blade to mine. Took a while and did groove the flange, but it's inside the handlebar, out of sight, so I didn't mind too much. IIRC, I cut two slots fairly close together in the stuck tube, then cold chiseled the resulting metal strip out. Once that strip was out, there was enough relief to collapse and beat the rest of the metal tube out. The installed bar end hides the very minor butchery to the handlebar proper.

Weird extraction problem. I've installed eight Throttlemeister sets and never had a problem with pulling the Factory inserts. I did shoot some penetrating oil in mine first though out of habit in case of corrosion.

I guess I'd drive a real sharp pointed punch (or nail) between the sleeve and the inside of the bar to deform, lift, and loosen the sleeve enough to get a pointed visegrip or dykes (non-PC) on the raised portion. The sleeve can't go in any further than the internal stop. Then twist and rip the sucker out. Or use a hacksaw as suggested. And some penetrating oil.

After, smooth any rough metal with a round file, Dremel tool, or emery cloth. The Throttlemeister insert will work on a rough surface, as it only depends upon O-ring friction to hold after tightening.

Not the best way to end the day, PO'd. Easy fix if you take your time to just loosen the sleeve via deformation.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird extraction problem. I've installed eight Throttlemeister sets and never had a problem with pulling the Factory inserts. I did shoot some penetrating oil in mine first though out of habit in case of corrosion.
I guess I'd drive a real sharp pointed punch (or nail) between the sleeve and the inside of the bar to deform, lift, and loosen the sleeve enough to get a pointed visegrip or dykes (non-PC) on the raised portion. The sleeve can't go in any further than the internal stop. Then twist and rip the sucker out. Or use a hacksaw as suggested. And some penetrating oil.

After, smooth any rough metal with a round file, Dremel tool, or emery cloth. The Throttlemeister insert will work on a rough surface, as it only depends upon O-ring friction to hold after tightening.

Not the best way to end the day, PO'd. Easy fix if you take your time to just loosen the sleeve via deformation.

Gary in Fairbanks
Thought about that but wondered if I'd bend or crack the bar tube instead of the grommet tube. Can you explain your last statement though? "Easy fix if you take your time to just loosen the sleeve via deformation." I'm a novice so some things just go over my head.

Problem solved. Not satisfactorially but solved none the less. I ended up chiseling out the metal sleve. Cracked the throttle tube. Of course I'd have to buy a new bar to fix it. I squeezed the cracked bar back together as best I could and put the darn bar end on. Put some locktite on it and am hoping for the best. I've had it out a few times and don't notice any difference. I guess it won't vibrate out. Thanks to those who provided advice.

Problem solved. Not satisfactorially but solved none the less. I ended up chiseling out the metal sleve. Cracked the throttle tube. Of course I'd have to buy a new bar to fix it. I squeezed the cracked bar back together as best I could and put the darn bar end on. Put some locktite on it and am hoping for the best. I've had it out a few times and don't notice any difference. I guess it won't vibrate out. Thanks to those who provided advice.
Sorry to hear of your outcome. Hopefully it'll be all be ok. I was suggesting just insert and remove (with some hammer help of course) a thin pointed punch or small nail between the sleeve and bar after pre-applying some penetrating oil to loosen any corroded areas. That should have raised the sleeve relative to the bar as it's made of thinner metal. Doing that in more than one location might have been required. Once the sleeve is deformed it takes on a smaller diameter and can sometimes be removed. Applying heat via a hot air gun or torch to the outside of the handlebar would also have moved the joining surfaces relative to one another and maybe broken the corrosion, but you still would have had to grab it somehow on a raised surface. Running a hacksaw blade inside the sleeve might have weakened it as well. It had to have been corroded to the bar for the Factory assembly to separate on removal.

But, that's now all water over the falls.

Gary in Fairbanks

Gary:

Are you in Fairbanks, Alaska?

I was up ther 5 years ago at this time on my Honeymoon. Wouldn't I have love to had an FJR there. I don't know when, but some day I'll be back.