Throttlemeister Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinpusher

Reaction score
Rode 200mi this weekend for the first time with the throttlemeister. Had been riding around town, but I had not been able to really test it's usefullness. It was perfect for what it was designed for. I was able to roll it on, with minimal speed change, after a little practice. Once it was engaged it was very easy to make small adjustments to stay in formation. Very good product.

J

Dude. Whatcha smokin? That thing is total P.O.S.. Absolutely the worst farkle I have ever tried. A total ass-pain to try and engage.

Vista Cruise or N.E.P.

Word.

Smoking the same stuff. loved my Throttle :rolleyes:
Smoking here too. Have used TM's on four or five bikes and they all work well. VC's work Okay, but who wants all the Rube Goldberg crap staring at them on the handlebar? And TM's are just beautifully made - works of machining art.

I have a Kaoko on my Strom (dunno if they have one for the FJR) and in principle it should work better with the knurled knob, but the drag adjustment isn't very well done and it has a noticeably less smooth feel than the TM.

- Mark

Dude. Whatcha smokin? That thing is total P.O.S.. Absolutely the worst farkle I have ever tried. A total ass-pain to try and engage.
Vista Cruise or N.E.P.

Word.
Sorry skoot....but I agree with everyone else.....so it must just be you....because the rest of us are on the same page :dntknw: ....

Crap. Gunny! to what skooter said. Most expensive bar end weights you can buy, IMO. Vista or Audiovox, otherwise they merely look nice.

+1 on the TM. Great for the superslab.

Be sure to use loctite on that final screw (which they sometimes do/do not provide)

Crap. Gunny! to what skooter said. Most expensive bar end weights you can buy, IMO. Vista or Audiovox, otherwise they merely look nice.

They were expensive, but you do get a two'for (weights and CC). I agree that I will probably upgrade to real CC (audiovox) eventually, but for now the TM works great. Can you make minor adjustments to the throttle with the vista cruise, without disabling it first?

J

Can you make minor adjustments to the throttle with the vista cruise, without disabling it first?
Only to the decel (close throttle) direction. However, it's so easy to engage/disengage the VC that it's a milisecond no-brainer to re-adjust. Also much easier to set it exactly to the speed you want, as you still have your whole hand on the throttle and are only flicking your thumb.

Can you make minor adjustments to the throttle with the vista cruise, without disabling it first?
Only to the decel (close throttle) direction. However, it's so easy to engage/disengage the VC that it's a milisecond no-brainer to re-adjust. Also much easier to set it exactly to the speed you want, as you still have your whole hand on the throttle and are only flicking your thumb.
So my young padawan, it's hand dexterity you lack.....that's why the dislike for the TM.....the truth comes out :grin: ....

I have used my TM for over three years and like it. Truth be told, though, I don't use it ofter. The fact that it is not a true cruise control that will compensate for variaitons in the terrain is a drawback but I knew that before I bought it (the VC isn't either). I find it fine for stretching out the right hand now and then and for long stretches of relatively flat slab.

I have both the TM and the Vista cruise. Had a problem with the TM and in the interim of returning it I installed the Vista. I find I always use

the Vista. I tend to ride with my hand over the ends of the bars and find I'm always engaging the TM. So my vote goes to the Vista....

I've got to agree with skooter here. I have been riding 40 years and have used the VC on numerous bikes for at least 25 years. I bought the TM back in 2003 for my FZ1. At that time I was doing all my touring on that bike, then I bought a 2004 FJR. I installed the VC on it day one. I really tried to use the TM, but I guess I was so used to the VC. I would have given it away a years ago, but since reinstalled it back on my FZ1. The extra weight helped with vibs, and it looks pretty cool on the bike. However I would never use it for it's intended function ever again, period, VC all the way.

David

Rode 200mi this weekend for the first time with the throttlemeister. Had been riding around town, but I had not been able to really test it's usefullness. It was perfect for what it was designed for. I was able to roll it on, with minimal speed change, after a little practice. Once it was engaged it was very easy to make small adjustments to stay in formation. Very good product.
J
Damn, I was going to say I didn't really care for the TM, but out fear of being excommunicated I will keep my mouth shut! ;) :D

Tony

I find it fine for stretching out the right hand now and then and for long stretches of relatively flat slab.

I have just installed my TM and have a general question: how flat must the road be?

There are stretches of freeway during my work commute that "seem" flat. I was not able to hold a relative constant speed. It would hold 70 mph and then drop to 65... then 60. This is within 30 seconds of first engagement. The TM seems to be fully engaged.

Is this "normal"?

Thanks for any info.

My view - it's really nicely made, looks good, and is useful as a "adjust the throttle friction" device. As for cruise control and ease of use I think it's a big disappointment. Would I buy one again - No.

As always, it's each unto their own. I would rather spend that amount of money (it's grossly overpriced) on something more useful.