Throttlemeister vs TopGun End weights and Vista Cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven57

Reaction score
OK Throttlemeister costs twice what the TopGun weights and a Vista Cruise cost. The TM weighs about 1/2-1oz more than TopGun and has some cooler finishes. Question is 1.) which works better as a throttle lock and 2.) will the slightly extra weight of the TM be an improvement over TopGun? I don't mind spending the extra money if there are tangible benefits one over the other.

Talked about many, Many, MANY times on this forum. Might start here and then search on things like throttlemeiser top gun vista cruise site:fjrforum and variations at Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Throttlemeister on a bike awhile back,It's a nice shiney piece of art,funtionally it turns the wrong way in order to do it's job.I wouldn't have known that,had I not tryed another make(can't remember name)that turned the opposite way(what a Difference).I also didn't like the smooth feel(read harder to control)with/without gloves........just my op....

I've got a BMW friend of mine in Colo.That's going to ask the local guru if they can come up with the Throttlemeister competitor's name,but it's like the Throttlemeister but turns the other way and has a knarly ring on it for better control.

Done both and flipping the thumb doo-dad on the VC beats the TM without doubt. The VC is a quick natural flip on or off, while the TM takes a little thought to hold the throttle while rotating the TM.

I've got a BMW friend of mine in Colo.That's going to ask the local guru if they can come up with the Throttlemeister competitor's name,but it's like the Throttlemeister but turns the other way and has a knarly ring on it for better control.
https://www.kaokousa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...de=KAOKO_YAMAHA

This one?

yam100_small.gif

Well, just about EVERYONE around here should know what a complete piece of SHITE I think the TM is. Vista-Cruise, baby!

That being said, the g/f's new BMW F650GS w/heated grips can't use throttle lock like the Vista Cruise. Thanks for the link to the Kaoko. Will try one of those for her.

Curt...That's not the one I'm thinking of,but at least it has something to hold on to.I looked at the site,it doesn't show how it works though.The one I'm thinking of turns the opposite way than TM does to lock,which I think works better,it adds weight like the TM,and has a knarley ring as well.....I don't even know if they're still in bis.....but your suggestion looks good as well...

Done both and flipping the thumb doo-dad on the VC beats the TM without doubt. The VC is a quick natural flip on or off, while the TM takes a little thought to hold the throttle while rotating the TM.
You do not have to hold the throttle and simultaneously turn the lock...you turn the lock and the you set the throttle where you want it to be. The reason being the lock does not completely lock the throttle movement but rather cancels out the spring tension of the throttle and therefore prevents it from moving back to idle position...

I personally like the Throttlemiester more than the Vista. I have used the Vista, but it tended to creep down after setting. So I was gradually slowing down and that was not what I wanted to do, and the install/product setup just didn't thrill me. I currently use the TM and I like it alot. Extra heavy bar end with crinkle black finish. No problem using with the last two fingers on my hand (with gloves even) and can make micro adjustments for hill and valleys. On flat stretches it holds perfectly and no creep. The TM extra heavy helps some with vibrations, but the funny thing is when I mounted crash bars and had to remove and reinstall the bolts that mounted the motor to put the brackets on. One of the bolts was a real booger and thought I was going to snap it off. Then when I went for a ride the vibration was cut in half. Something must have been tweaked for it to do this. But I have no real explanation, and I am happy with the results. One other option is the Brakeaway Cruise Control which I am getting for my girlfriend for her birthday. My install is on an 05 FZ 1

TM is the way to go. To lock the throttle open all you do is turn it backwards (same direction as opening the throttle). They are expensive but are AWESOME and worth every penny!! Check the link in my signature line for some pics of mine. Just got back from a 6 day trip with almost 3K miles and my TM worked like a charm. They are hefty enough to really help reduce the vibes and are quality all around.

WW

TM ...that's the ticket. I've ridden a couple hundred thousand miles touring. I've had several different brands from the cheap Vista locks to the a "50's Boy".. Every see a 50's Boy throttle lock? Very cool.

At first I wasn't sure about the TM. But after 20,000 I'm sold. It's functional and it's obscure. Most people (non-bikers) think it's just standard bar ends...even some "bikers" are not aware. And the TM is heavy...built like a tank. There maybe some throttle locks that are just as good but I doubt there are many any better than a Throttlemeister. :D