Throttlemeister

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I just installed the heavy Throttlemeister, I don't how some of you guys use one hand to lock the throttle? Is there a way to reduce the turning travel of the Throttlemeister from off to on?

I don't go from full-off to full-lock. I turn it enough to get the throttle to drag (but too loose to leave my hand off for long), fine-tune the speed, then lock it down the rest of the way.

It takes some getting used to, especially with winter gloves.

I had one on my Bandit and often what I would do is engage the TM *just* enough to lightly hold the throttle, for example if you were to go over a bump like this the throttle would snap back, while stopped but before I was going to be riding a distance. Once I was up to speed with the TM set as it is there is enough tension to then take your hand off throttle and tighten the TM more so that it locks the throttle to the desired position.

I've learned to hold the throttle at cruise with my index and middle fingers and wrist leaning on my throttle boss/crampbuster which flicking the bar end to grab the throttle...I then reach out and adjust with a medium of friction which holds it, but allows me to easily adjust the throttle on the fly

I ride pretty much all the time unless cruising the interstate with little traffic when the AVCC is set to go

I use a throttle rocker, thumb on the rocker and a couple fingers on the lock. You can set it up tight so a 1/2 turn locks it. I like mine set up at 1 turn to full lock. I usually only turn it till it just holds the throttle and I make adjustments on hills etc.. riding the interstate. Its just a way of resting your right hand to stretch your fingers while on the move. I don't recomend cranking the thing down too tight. There is always the Vista Cruise. :)

I haven't tried to use the TM while wearing my heavy gloves, but with either of my lighter pairs, it's not a problem to hold the throttle with my thumb and index finger, and then use the rest of my hand to turn the TM. I dunno, maybe it just takes some practice?

Also, as others are saying, I also don't turn it all the way to the off position; I only move it enough so that it doesn't interfere with my normal riding. That way, it's pretty close to engaging and is ready to go.

I take the easy way out and use my left hand to tighten the Throttlemeister.
I did that one time in the desert between Phoenix and Cal. state line. It was 2am in the middle of no where when the bike started losing power. I coasted to the shoulder and shortly there after realized to my relief that I had accidently hit the kill switch when trrying to roll the throttlemeister with my left hand. I guess I'm too clumsy so I stopped doing that.

I did that one time in the desert between Phoenix and Cal. state line. It was 2am in the middle of no where when the bike started losing power. I coasted to the shoulder and shortly there after realized to my relief that I had accidently hit the kill switch when trrying to roll the throttlemeister with my left hand. I guess I'm too clumsy so I stopped doing that.
woe...I'm disappointed in you...that should never, ever happen :rolleyes:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114491

I rarely adjust the TM. I set it so that there is just enough friction so that the throttle will not roll back on its own (or very slowly) and leave it like that. :eek: :D I just do minor adjustments sometimes as the temperature changes. Has been working for me for 8 years and lots of miles.

woe...I'm disappointed in you...that should never, ever happen :rolleyes:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114491
Yeah Brother Mike, who was it that pulled that cockeyed stunt? Must have been some NOLA Cajun with a six pack of Dixie in his belly!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up and sold mine. then went with throttle lock. Never looked back. it was just way too unnatural to set that thing and theres some great (low cost) alternatives out there to get this job done.

GreyGoose

I just installed the heavy Throttlemeister, I don't how some of you guys use one hand to lock the throttle? Is there a way to reduce the turning travel of the Throttlemeister from off to on?
Seems peeps with smaller hands have a harder time with the TM - possible cause of your issue? I love mine for long trips, rarely engage it otherwise - but it was easy to use right out of the box for my oversize mitts.

Like the others say - when you're gonna use it, take the free play out first, then lock in at the right throttle position with the last 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn of the TM.

I like the way it looks on the bar ends, but other than that I hate my TM. Is there anything else that doesn't involve moving the grip or other mechanical alterations to the bike.

I like the way it looks on the bar ends, but other than that I hate my TM. Is there anything else that doesn't involve moving the grip or other mechanical alterations to the bike.

Vista cruise is a cheap, simple, easy to install and use throttle lock. There are others - search 'throttle lock'. If not for your dislike of mechanical alterations, you could add true (electronic) cruise control - I think audiovox is the CC of choice?,

I use telekinesis. I have to take my mind off the road for a few seconds but that's not usually a problem. It doesn't work real well under high-tension power lines though.

Bending your will with my mind right now...feel it?

W2

Last edited by a moderator: